Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Gentoo Installation Problem

• 09-11-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I've been trying to start an install of Gentoo on my main desktop pc this evening but I've fallen over at the first hurdle.

Neither the gentoo livecd nor the minimal-livecd seem to be able to detect the CD-ROM drives that they're in.

I select boot from cd-rom, iso-linux pops up, it asks me do I want any arguments or options used when loading the kernel. I say no, then it loads the ide and sata drivers and scans through my hardware for /boot/ However, it doesn't find the CD-rom drives, so it can go no further.

They're standard IDE drives, NEC DVD-RWs. Plugged into IDE-0 Master and IDE-0 Slave.

I've tried using the "doscsi" and "ide=nodma" boot arguments, to no avail. It still didn't pick them up.

I googled this for ages and couldnt find anything related really...

This is on a Gigabyte-DS3 Core2Duo board, for what it's worth. The IDE controller is a little weird in them, but I think it's been fine since the latest bios revision.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Never mind, got it fixed with the "all-generic-ide" boot option. Now it just stops outputting a signal when it tries to initialise the ATI card, but I'm sure thats easier to fix.

Advertisement