Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us how seriously you take college

Options
  • 09-11-2006 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

It has occured to Zane since he started in UCD that there's alot of dossers around

i don't think i'm one of these people as i'm good, i go most of my lectures, go to all my tutorials and always hand my coursework up on time - that sounds impressive but i've also failed to take even one book out of the library this year and rarely actually go over notes and crap unless i've got an exam or coursework

in saying this i think i do more than alot of people

i've noticed this year in my modules, lecture attendance on average is around the 50% mark, there's been lecture attendance as low as the 25% mark. i know a couple of people who go to about 20% of their lectures. things really bit the biscuit yesterday when i went to one of my tutorials, there was meant to be 25 of us attending the tutorial, just me and one other guy showed up which made for a very eventful tutorial! I know lecture attendance isn't everything but if i hardly attended anything i would fail no doubt and i couldn't let myself do that

I know Arts has a reputation for attracting dossers but i still think it's absolutely absurd that so many students treat their degree like a joke, for a course with 12 hours or so a week it's hardly that stressful to hardly attend anything. Who knows, they could be swotting it up in the library but i think that's unlikely!

So, i'm wondering how are things in your lectures and courses? Are there many people taking the piss or do people take their degree seriously? What's your attitude to your course like? How much do you attend?

On average, how much do you attend in your course? (Lectures, tutorials etc.) 78 votes

90-100%
    0%
    80-90%
    26%
    Frank GrimesStepherunieWaltonsMatthewVIIJonny Arson[Deleted User]hullaballooslovessmgBlush_01Feral MutantemeraldstarFarcearVorsprungseraphimvcChakaroRlyYaRlysnack_iejumpymunkySarchasmCardinalJ 21 votes
    70-80%
    14%
    orangeroosterfish-headRaphaelGusherINGUmaroThe_MinisterSteakdajaffaJimmNeutronTan Princessfi_bob 11 votes
    60-70%
    25%
    pretty*monstersnickerpussozt9vdujny3srfthe evil limePythiabestyStabshauptmanned6hellsfreshpoobumGarretsingingstrangerelmyraBlowfishmarkontapBallerinagubbieprincess-sprkleMalmedicineremus808Mr.Saturn 20 votes
    50-60%
    11%
    Nichololasrainbow kirbypigeonbutlerScraggsupmeathball oxziggy_boneDonald-DuckLeoGilly 9 votes
    40-50%
    12%
    RiamfadaAlkerstribuluspanda100JustCozfatalabelardShark!!!!!!!!XchampagneXlaciegradient 10 votes
    30-40%
    3%
    Anton17Shardshumbert 3 votes
    20-30%
    2%
    dirtydressmr.nice 2 votes
    0-20% I'm failing bad!
    2%
    jimi_tpimpy_c 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

80-90%
    I've been worse this year than other years but that was partly due to a lot of messing trying to get vaccinations sorted, then there was a research project that was due and being class rep meant i had a few meetings that were at times of lectures. Still attended the vast majority of lectures. And I always have my stuff done early - have a project due next week and i've had my bit of it done for the past six weeks if not more - I'm not a great believer in leaving things to the last minute. I'm more a work steadily kind of person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

70-80%
    I'd say 80-90%... well maybe a little less. I go to basically all of my tutorials, but sometimes events conspire against me i.e Debses and other such particularly late nights. The only time I really can't be arsed getting up is for 9am lectures. If I can get around them, I probably will. I think reading week kinda relaxed my attitude a bit so I had better work it back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

80-90%
    Looks like us boardsies are a studious bunch...so far :p
    I'm pretty good when it comes to turning up at things, and I try to make the effort to at least go in even if I'm probably not going to make a huge amount of effort - osmosis is a fantastic thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

50-60%
    Unfortunately, I've been bad at going to lectures this year. I'd say I make about 70% of my lectures - 9ams are just so hard to get up for when you have to be up at 6.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

this year (my finals) im not taking it seriously AT ALL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

60-70%
    I think I do a good job in attending around 70% of my lectures. Usually my attendance comes in really good phases or terrible weeks! I suppose I should be hitting closer to 100% in my 4th year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

50-60%
    I take college very seriously ... I just have very poor attendance this semester, thats changing though I almost had a golden week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

40-50%
    On average I'm pretty good! Haven't been to college in over a week though because I'm sick (tonsillitis is horrible!)...but going in tomorrow, and it's for a 9am lecture!!

80-90%
    Having seen people mentioning the 9s, I guess one of the reasons I get in most of the time is because I only have one of these... Earliest lecture I've got is 11, and one prac on thursday at 9.
    Very helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

60-70%
    Try 3 9 O'Clocks on for size Waltons! I'm just lucky I'm not an engineer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

50-60%
    I have about 60% attendance..but thats because I'm in first year computer science and the maths lectures are a joke,they're so boring and at 9am so I don't really ever bother going to them,except for about once every 2weeks.

Although I've improved in the last 2 weeks(one of my friends making me go into lectures more often!)Although,so far its week 9 and I've only been in one thursday so far,9am starts aren't worth it for 2 maths lectures and programming,because it means I have to get up at 6am :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

70-80%
    I'd say about 80-90% this year so far, not had the best of weeks this week though, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

80-90%
    I would say about 90-100% had a good start this year and the momentum is good for me.I'm happy enough.Just need to do more reading and study for the exams.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

80-90%
    I haven't missed a lecture yet. There have been one or two early-leavings/late arrivals, but that's all.

Still, I don't see the point in breaking my neck for the sake of a degree. If I study at an unhealthy level, then I'm doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

80-90%
    I've blown off an interview with a large dublin accounting firm to attend a tax lecture. I enjoyed the irony of it all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm probably going to drop out of my course. I've not attended in weeks and haven't done the required essays. It's not simple laziness it's something worse. I just feel mentally drained and totally burned-out. It's affecting me at home too as I'm snapping at my parents pretty much constantly.

I have to get out for my own sanity and well-being. I'm going to talk to my student adviser next week. Ideally I'd love to try and take a year out and come back in September but I don't know if I can still do that. Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

40-50%
    I would say 50-60..............its first year and I wanna have fun especially after a year of hell with the leaving cert last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i don't have classes this year so the poll doesn't apply to me, but last year i had 100% attendance, and at least 90% in the previous years. doing a half-arsed job on things is not my style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

80-90%
    I've been in pretty much every day, handed in the few things I've had to on time, try to get things done early. Exams in a few weeks will tell me how well it's worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

80-90%
    I've only missed one lecture and one tutorial so far, I was dying with a cold so I've an excuse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

40-50%
    Im the master at pulling excellent exams out of my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

80-90%
    I've attended everything so far.
    I'm probably going to drop out of my course. I've not attended in weeks and haven't done the required essays. It's not simple laziness it's something worse. I just feel mentally drained and totally burned-out. It's affecting me at home too as I'm snapping at my parents pretty much constantly.

I have to get out for my own sanity and well-being. I'm going to talk to my student adviser next week. Ideally I'd love to try and take a year out and come back in September but I don't know if I can still do that. Anyone know?

You can defer the rest of the year - or could anyway. Then you'll only have to pay half fees when you come back next year because the HEA will only have paid the college for you to be there between september and christmas. If you are going to defer the rest of the year, you have until January to make a final decision, I think. Friends of mine have done it, and for some it has been the best thing they could have done.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, but make sure your decision is one you've weighed up properly. Lots of people go through periods of confusion or disillusionment with what they're doing. Hope it all works out for the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

60-70%
    I go to about 60-70% of my courses. I never miss tutorials (but i don't have many) but mainly only miss lectures if my asthma is acting up (alot in winter) or if i sleep it out. I always hand in assaignments/slide tests but i can't say i work my ass off.

I'm a jammy git so i generally pull stuff out of my ass and it all goes okay.

This year i definately know more whats going on in my courses and feel confident about the exams. (except classical irish - what the hell is going on there i just don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

70-80%
    besty wrote:
    try 4 9 o'clocks on for size besty!

I'd say I'm between 70-85%. one of my housemates has only been to half of one lecture this year and he's in his final!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

you kids with your four nine o'clocks.. when i was in first year i had five, and i only missed one of them the whole year, and i walked thirty miles in the snow to get to college, and it was uphill both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

60-70%
    5 9 o clocks-but its good cos it means I don't waste my day doing this sleepy malark. But thats why I've only been to about 70% of my classes. But I have been to all my tutorials and practicals even though attendance isn't mandatory but sure

edit to say-I'm in UCC freeloading off their wireless service. I just hope it doesn't screw up my UCD wireless :S

80-90%
    besty wrote:

Been there and done that in first year - that routine didn't last long at all :p Used to make it in for Monday and Tuesday's 9 o clocks, but didn't go in on Wednesday until around 1 o clock, skipping 9, 10, and 12 o clock lectures...Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

60-70%
    fatal wrote:
    I would say 50-60..............its first year and I wanna have fun especially after a year of hell with the leaving cert last year

i like your style :)

im in first year too and have missed a bit,but im trying to do better because what you miss in an hour lecture,you could spend three hours trying to figure out on your own!:(

but mostly the way i look at it is,im better off missing a lecture and heading in later,than getting up at 6 30 and being completely knackered for the day!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

80-90%

Dude if you've done fcuk all now 3 weeks before your finals then it's probably best you take the rest of the year off and come back next year. The only thing i'm unsure of is if you do come back is how how your degree will be calculated, that could be just your 3rd year grade or your 2nd and 3rd year grades.

Whatever you do take it easy and do come back, you've spent a long time here and it would be a shame to give up at this stage, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

60-70%

MNG, if you do decide to sit exams, I have a pretty good set of notes for the core history course, I haven't missed much. If you're taking the Med history course, I have most things for that too and I could grab the Doing History notes off a friend for you if you needed. While I realise that that would mean making yourself known to us, ;) , you're welcome to pm me if you want anything to do with History and essays and the like. If you do decide to defer the year good luck with it, but either now or next year, do 3rd year, don't give up! :)

Advertisement