Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Phone Line

Options
  • 09-11-2006 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Ok, I'll try and keep this simple. I'm hoping the good people of boards can help me. I've a problem with my home phone. I have broadband and that works fine (BT). I can't get a dial tone on my phone, however when somebody calls it, it rings at the base station (It's a dect). I thought the problem was with the phone so I bought a new one. Same problem with that one.

After a number of mind numbing days of trying to contact BT and being passed around the different departments they finally told me it was an 'internal fault' as there was no fault on the line.I had a look at the connection that I have and opened it up, nothing unusual, evertything seemed to be connected right.

I live in a ground floor apartment, outside my door a few feet away is a junction box where the eircom phone line terminates and a line goes underground into my apartment. According to my house contract, I am not responsible for anything on the outside of my apartment, anything outside my door including the outside walls are to be maintained by the management company. If there is a problem with the line between the junction box and my apartment, who is responsible for fixing it? BT? Eircom? Management company? Me? Is there some kind of test I can do on the junction box and the connection in my apratment to tell if theres a fault on the line in between. Should BT send somebody out to check this for me? Or would it be Eircom?

I am confused, I got no help from BT in any way, I am sick of them, if I could go wireless I would, ICE broadband is available to me but the reviews have not been good.

Tubes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A simple test would be to replace the DECT with a bog standard wired phone and see if that works.

If the base station rings and you can't hear it on the handset it seems to me the handset is either misconfigured or faulty, my suggestion above would at least confirm whether the fault is with the line or the phone.

/edit:

Thought just occurred to me, are you using a wireless router for the broadband ? If so it's possible that it's interfereing with the handset as it may also be working in the 2.4GHz band. If so try turning of the broadband router/wireless access point and see if that helps.

ZEN

Advertisement