Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science night out

Options
  • 09-11-2006 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Who is going to the science lock and key night in club21 next thursday?? It sounds like good fun and im thinkin of goin but i just wanna see if a decent amount of ppl will be goin. Not worth goin if it will only be a few.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah thats a pretty good night its for charity isn't it.I wonder what percentage of the profits will go to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

duno anything about it (except what you've said here).

I may go along, i'll see whos going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I think that I will almost certainly be there..sounds like its gonna be a good night

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

what's the craic with the lock and key though? like do all the girls go in and get a lock and all the lads get a key and they all match up or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Who is going to the science lock and key night in club21 next thursday?? It sounds like good fun and im thinkin of goin but i just wanna see if a decent amount of ppl will be goin. Not worth goin if it will only be a few.

Both Humanzi and Justice are playing on the thursday in UCD so there won't be as many casuals as there were at say... the engineering do the last week in Down Under.

• Advertisement

Steak wrote:
    what's the craic with the lock and key though? like do all the girls go in and get a lock and all the lads get a key and they all match up or what?

Nah its just a marketing gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

they're usually a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Steak wrote:
    That was what I heard.

whats up with these themed nights all of a sudden? trinity cancer soc had a matched sticker thing where a guy picks a guy celeb/fictional character and a girl picks a girl one from a box, and i dunno, you're meant to match up or something.

i ended up picking the brad pitt sticker, not sure who i was meant to go after, so much choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Right, here's the story, Tickets are €7, it's gonna be mad craic, on the door, every lad gets a key and every girl gets a lock, the lads then have to round looking for the girl with their lock, first matching couple get a prize. Or as certain Science peoples said, "It's an excuse for socially inept people to go out and try score" but it will be good craic! Everyone go! There's a whole gang of us going.

Btw, afaik, nearly all the profit goes to charity, they just cover the rent and stuff for the night and the rest goes.

• Advertisement

Le Rack wrote:
    Everyone go! .
    Surely its only for science people?

no, it's a "Science Night Out" i.e. it's part of science week but anyone can go! :D

Ok People I demand A Damn Good turn out tomorrow night!
    There's a fair few people going already but we want lots more, it will be good fun, and did I mention the free drink if you find your lock n key buddie? Tickets are on sale in front of Elements in hte Science block and shall be on sale till tomo afternoon! Go Go Go! :D

Where are the tickets o sale again? / Shill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah thats a pretty good night its for charity isn't it.I wonder what percentage of the profits will go to charity?

Well Conor, with most events run by societies or groups everything after costs goes to the charity. Costs are effectively what it costs to print tickets and posters, hire the venue and security and sort out the music. I can't rememeber there being any other expenses involved in generic night out organisation, as the people organising it do it voluntarily. Obviously the whole lock and key thing will cost more to run due to the locks and keys, unless they use numbered cut-outs rather than real locks. The only way a real lock-and-key party would be financially viable is if 1) the turnout is huge, so a huge profit is made, 2) it's a regular event, so the initial cost of the locks is spread over a number of events or 3) the locks are provided free gratis/sponsored in some way. When 21 was Cayote (sp?) it had a capacity of something like 600. If the event had an overall attendance of above a certain level (400, I think, but I could be wrong) the venue was provided free of charge, as revenue from the drink sales covered hire - I think that was the principle behind it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

anyone know what the ticket situation is like. thinking of going...

humbert wrote:
    anyone know what the ticket situation is like. thinking of going...
    Me too, but I went to a Chemsoc thing once and they were very unfriendly. I'm not sure how welcome we would be.

i can account for at least 15 people going... 15 very drunk people. I mean, responsibly drinking final year students.

who haven't been out in weeks.

and one of which (me) went home in an ambulance at the last science night he was at (science day, last year... good times)

Me too, but I went to a Chemsoc thing once and they were very unfriendly. I'm not sure how welcome we would be.

Well if there are tickets tomorrow and I go all I can guarantee you is there will be one person there who will treat you like the leaperous arts student you are:D

Na us science students are a friendly bunch!

I would go, only I don't know where to buy the tickets.

• Advertisement

I would go, only I don't know where to buy the tickets.

The tickets as said by LeRack in a previous post are being sold in the Science Block near the Elements restaurant.

I didn't see that. Maybe I will go....

I didn't see that. Maybe I will go....

Ah well should be good fun.I'm not going, I'm gonna be fraternising with my fellow Soldiers of Destiny in Drumcondra.

So? Who is going?

Looks like I am, better not be there by my lonesome:eek:

Indeed it does.
    I'm going to the LawSoc comedy debate at 5. That would be over at seven, but by the time i got home, changed, and got dinner, and got into town, it would be ten, and I'd say it starts at eight. Also, I'm fairly sure they'd have sold all the tickets by now.

bro, you wouldn't want to be there before half ten. aim for 11. pre drinking all the way...

mloc wrote:
    bro, you wouldn't want to be there before half ten. aim for 11. pre drinking all the way...
    Are there tickets still on sale?

yup still on sale and with no constraints I'm aiming to be there at about 11

• Advertisement

im not sure, im hoping to get in on the door... one usually can at science events, particularly 21

Advertisement