Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crazy Golf!! Advice needed!!

Options
  • 09-11-2006 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

My new to me 2000 Golf Mk IV whilst driving as well as i expected seems to have a glich with the hatchback door sensor.

The "Tail gate" light on the dash is constantly on eventhough the boot is firmly & securely closed!!

Can someone tell me where I might find the microswitch ( I assume) for the boot on the car? I've looked & fiddled all along the outer seams but am unable to locate anything.

I notice that there is a plastic flap under the locking pin along the bottom of the boot opening that depresses when the boot is shut, I've poked my fingers in but am unable to locate any electrical systems at all.

I would appreciate any advice fellow VW drivers / experts may have as I don't want to fork out huge money to a garage for a simple fix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The switch is built into the lock mechanism. You'll need a new lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

crosstownk wrote:
    The switch is built into the lock mechanism. You'll need a new lock.

Yeah I'm afraid its a new boot lock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

I concur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Locks are a notorious weak spot in VWs, as are window regulators and a b@stard of a job they are to fit too. Apparently if you slam the door in a Golf with the window opened any bit you'll break the window regulator, its actually the plastic retainer clip for the glass is made out of sh*te plastic and VW will only supply the whole regulator instead of the clips on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Cheers for the info!

I've investigated the lock issue further & have noticed that my key doesn't work in it (always used central locking before)! plus it appears to be saturated with water!!

The light first came on whilst the car was being power washed at a garage a few weeks ago, stayed on for 2 days & then went out! The washer bottle was only filled this week & the rear washer was used constantly this week thanks to the wonderful weather & mucky roads....

Water seems to be leaking somewhere from the washer hose onto the lock & this have the effect of completing the contacts for the offending switch etc.... ?

I'm thinking of spraying a good dose of WD40 into the lock through the keyhole....Would this disperse the excess water in the mechanism / switch or do more damage then good??

Also how do I get at the water hose for the washer, should the inside panel on the back door be able to to be removed easily enough...plastic pop rivits etc ???

The car was bought in July from a Main Dealer (Non VW) with a 6 month warranty, would I be perfectly within my rights to ask them to fix this problem F.O.C under the warranty ?????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Any ideas folks?
    Would I be within my rights to bring the car back to the garage or do you think I would get the run around?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

bring it back to them and get them to look at it under the sales warranty.
    they should fix it for you.
    sounds like the power washer did the damage
    Don't bother with the WD40 - it might make it harder for them to find the problem if there's no water in the area

Advertisement