Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom & Torrents

Options
  • 09-11-2006 11:45pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just got Eircom 2mb installed in an apartment I just moved into. The speed is fine when I download something through http. However, as soon as I turn on my torrent app (Bitcomet) my download speed drops from 200k/s to 10k/s. This is regardless of the speed I'm getting. Im actually only getting about 5k/s download on the torrent which means my overall download speed is dropping from 200k/s to 15k/s.

It really is looking like Eircom are penalising people as soon as they detect torrent traffic. I'm going to ring them 2moro and harass them until I get an explanation.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dardoz wrote:
    Hi
    I just got Eircom 2mb installed in an apartment I just moved into. The speed is fine when I download something through http. However, as soon as I turn on my torrent app (Bitcomet) my download speed drops from 200k/s to 10k/s. This is regardless of the speed I'm getting. Im actually only getting about 5k/s download on the torrent which means my overall download speed is dropping from 200k/s to 15k/s.

It really is looking like Eircom are penalising people as soon as they detect torrent traffic. I'm going to ring them 2moro and harass them until I get an explanation.

I highly doubt they are, most likely you don't have port forwarding setup, your not capping uploads and downloads so your line is being saturated, your using a banned port on the tracker your on OR your on a torrent that has hardly any seeds.

If your expecting Eircom to support your bittorrent connection, then your expecting far too much :)

Given the seer amount of people on Eircom here and the seer lack of complaints regarding bittorrent problems, you would be much better off looking at your own setup before you jump to conclusions and blaming Eircom.

For starters if your going to download torrents get yourself a decent client,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

yes perhaps I was jumping to conclusions in my frustration. I have several bitorrent clients though and the results are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Cabaal, care to make some suggestions to optimise use of Torrents?
    Port forwarding, best client etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As bitcomet includes adware, I'd suggest azureus or utorrent imho

Try changing your bittorrent client to a port other then
    411-413
    4661-4663
    5500-5501
    6346-6348
    6880-6899
    As often some trackers can ban these

For port forwarding, best take a look at portforward.com as each router config can differ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Cabaal wrote:
    As bitcomet includes adware, I'd suggest azureus or utorrent imho

For port forwarding, best take a look at portforward.com as each router config can differ
    Utorrent can be set to use a random port each time you start it, and it also supports UPnP, which means that you don't have to follow the misleading instructions on portforward.com - the client can negotiate the portforwarding with your UPnP enabled router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not sure if the situation has changed since I signed up, but last time I had a chance to check Eircom routers weren't UPnP enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Not sure if the situation has changed since I signed up, but last time I had a chance to check Eircom routers weren't UPnP enabled.
    last time I checked, the Netopias definitely supported UPnP.

Eircom seem to think so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Foxwood wrote:
    last time I checked, the Netopias definitely supported UPnP.

Eircom seem to think so too.
    Fair enough.

Advertisement