Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childers road shopping center

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

What the hell is with the entrance/exit to this place?!!!

You'd wonder what the guy who designed it was smoking at the time, probably the same stuff the guy who approved it was ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pacifico wrote:

You'd wonder what the guy who designed it was smoking at the time, probably the same stuff the guy who approved it was ;)

Or more so what were the City Council thinking when they granted them planning permission for it? - revenue generated from rates me thinks.

Incidently at most peak weekend times the traffic lights are switched off and a garda is there directing traffic in and out.

And planning permission is being sought for another retail park in the area. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

hang on and I'll, get the old satellite to pop over and have a look .... :)

you can see the Parkway and Homebase etc at middle/top of picture ....

towards the bottom of the photo you can see the shopping centre and right in the middle is both the entry and exit .....

I've never tried to get in and out over a weekend because I never remember to take a good book to read while I'm waiting in the traffic ques in/out of the place ...... :rolleyes: but it's tolerable during weekdays ....

(edit .... oh bugger ... you said "What" ... not "where" .... )

2d1qomr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The place is a disaster I cant even face it on the weekend

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Terrible all right, even if you do get into the place, the way they have a stop juction at the end of the entrance road is a bit dim. Traffic leaving the place from the maplins side cause people entering the car park to wait. Halfwits!

As with all things in life (til I actually attempt them) I can say with confidence that I, or any number of willing monkeys, could have done better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

hobie wrote:

2d1qomr.jpg

I can see my house!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

zoom out until you can see the south east of the county and i can say the same

can someone explain to me how they think they could of done it better? best with a bad situation no?

can someone explain to me how they think they could of done it better?

well if they had the entrance up at the north end (Homebase direction) and exit at the south (fast food KFC? end) or visa versa it would have worked better ..... and certainly not have that single $$$$$$ entrance/exit road that ends up outside the new Dunnes creating total grid-lock:(

one single "T" junction ..... to do this ..... :eek:
    with cars coming in and wanting to turn right

with cars coming in and wanting to turn left

cars wanting to go from north to south end of carpark

cars wanting to go from south to north end of carpark

cars trying to get out from north end

cars trying to get out from south end

let alone the $$$$$$ joy riders !!!! .... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I agree. The planning of this car park is absolutely ludicrous.
    I always thought the Crescent Shopping Centre was bad until I drove in here last year. I never go to Childers Road SC unless I absolutely have to (which is about twice a year) because of the stupid layout.
    Speaking of the Crescent - can you imagine an out of towner going to the McDonalds Drive through for the first time and trying to get out of the complex again!!! :eek:

Pikasso wrote:
    can you imagine an out of towner going to the McDonalds Drive through for the first time and trying to get out of the complex again!!! :eek:

Believe it or not, that's how raheen developed. People drove out to see McDonalds and experience the drive through. They then found themselves unable to leave the car park. Luckily there was a few builders and vans etc, and they built some crude shelters - eventually becoming Dooradoyle.

Pikasso wrote:
    can you imagine an out of towner going to the McDonalds Drive through for the first time and trying to get out of the complex again!!! :eek:
    Believe it or not, that's how the area developed. People drove out to see McDonalds and experience the drive through. They then found themselves unable to leave the car park. Luckily there was a few builders and vans etc, and they built some crude shelters - eventually becoming Dooradoyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

fair enough hobie you clearly have given it a lot more thought than I have
    but do you really think the planners never forseen this happening or were they restricted by laws (dont ask me)

1huge1 wrote:
    fair enough hobie you clearly have given it a lot more thought than I have
    but do you really think the planners never forseen this happening or were they restricted by laws (dont ask me)

The stretch of Childer's road from the Parkway roundabout down to the Tipperary roundabout has always been a notorious bottle neck even well before this retail park was ever conceived. I cannot imagine adding a retail park to the area was ever going to make things better.

When it comes to getting planning permission for these developments it seems money talks more than common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 CarewParkAFC

I work in the Dunnes on the Childers Road, and i'll give ye a bit of advice.

Stay well clear from it on saturdays btwn 12-6 and sundays btwn 2-8

The rest of the time its pretty handy all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd also say any time of the day after December 1st! :)
    (I'll be going to the gym early in the morning, and won't be going near the place any time after that)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Might seem a bit excessive to some but a tunnel going in right and a flyover coming out right would alleviate a lot of problems here, but then there's the coming out left and in left filters which cause headaches because they've no space to join the stream of traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

get a bus!

ROTFL
    LOL
    :D
    :D

I think if I was living around there and was doing my shopping there I would get a Moped ...... with Pannier bags of course ..... :)

or a Horse ...... :p

Or just go to the Parkway, not as many going into that Dunnes Stores as the new one.

If I need something from the other shops in the retail park I can walk to them as I only live around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

I notice that you have to turn left upon entering the car park now. This makes the place one way upon entry and is working well in my opinion. No amount of Gardai, green traffic light sequence, exits will make any difference if the main road outside is congested.

This is bad planning at its finest and yes obviously money talks, sure isn't that why Charlie J was living like a lord for the remainder of his days....

I think that was short lived, wasn't there today. Did have a cop directing traffic though. Was pretty busy but moving all right. One entrance exit. Genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

hobie wrote:
    I think if I was living around there and was doing my shopping there I would get a Moped ...... with Pannier bags of course ..... :)

or a Horse ...... :p

Somebody riding a horse on Childers road!
    There's a novel idea!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

I experienced "car park hell" in this shopping centre last Friday evening. I was trying to get to Atlantic and the entrance from Childer's Rd was a bit busy so I went up to the back entrance opposite the GAA club. No problem getting in here so in I went and up along the top of the car park and turned down towards the main road across the front of the shops. This is when the problems started. There was absolutely no movement of cars out of the carpark from the Argos side. After about 10 minutes I turned around to try and get onto the exit road further back but it was the same all the way back. I decided to try and get out the back entrance but when I went there the cars coming in were joining the queue to get out. After another 10 minutes of no movement I spoke to the drivers of the other cars and told them there was no point trying to get in there. We agreed that everyone should reverse out the entrance and try the front entrance if they still wanted to get in. I felt sorry for anyone who had finished their shopping and had loads of frozen food melting in the bags while they sat there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

apparently there was chaos again there yesterday evening.

I heard that on the traffic report as well. Gardai requesting people avoid the area, and that the cause was bad planning? Anyone else hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

MarkR wrote:
    I heard that on the traffic report as well. Gardai requesting people avoid the area, and that the cause was bad planning? Anyone else hear that?

I think 95fm had it as their top story on Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Im workin in Maplin and i swear the traffic setup is just pathetic.
    I spend most days watchin it thankfully enough. They need another exit onto the Blood Mill Rd. and a slip rd Towards the Roundabout.

Also if u find urself shoppin please don't whine to us about the traffic.
    We didn't design it. ;)

They need another exit onto the Blood Mill Rd. and a slip rd Towards the Roundabout.

They were denied planning permission to build an entrance\exit onto the Bloodmill Road due to an objection by local residence. That road is too narrow and is surrounded by housing estates. It is already used by muppets as a highspeed shortcut from the Tipperary road to Childer's road.

That retail park should not have been located there in the first place. That stretch of road was a traffic nightmare ever before that development was conceived. The area of land and existing road was never big enough for a proper entrance and exit. Your average man on the street could have seen it only getting worse. Just goes to show you that there are other things rather than common sense talking down at the traffic management department of the City Council. Either that or they really are a very incompetent bunch of people.

And just to make things worse Aldi are building a new store on the Dublin road just up from the Groody bridge opposite Singland Motors. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

A new road was proposed to be built from where KFC is onto the Tipperary Rounabout. The Travellers have refused to move though even though its not their land anymore.

Advertisement