Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forcing Series to one post on TV forum.

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I personally don't think it is a good idea, however its not my forum and I respect the wishes of the mods there.

But at least in relation to the Heroes thread might be better locking it and opening a new one and set up some kinds of rules so that the thread can be made without screwing it for anyone who reads the thread.

Ivan had somewhat of a good idea but general rules would be better all around. Especially when TV forum is liable to be spammed with Heroes, Lost, Jericho, The Nine, Dexter, Seven Degrees, etc (a lot of cult following line this year).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Or just give us our bloody heroes forum already! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hobbes wrote:
    I personally don't think it is a good idea, however its not my forum and I respect the wishes of the mods there.

But at least in relation to the Heroes thread might be better locking it and opening a new one and set up some kinds of rules so that the thread can be made without screwing it for anyone who reads the thread.

Ivan had somewhat of a good idea but general rules would be better all around. Especially when TV forum is liable to be spammed with Heroes, Lost, Jericho, The Nine, Dexter, Seven Degrees, etc (a lot of cult following line this year).

Lost has it's own forum already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kaimera wrote:
    Lost has it's own forum already :)
    Yes, but new people won't be aware of that, and will likely post in the TV foum about it anyway.

Perhaps a sticky linking all the individual show subforums might be an idea? (Like anyone reads them anyway, but anyhoo...)

I actually prefer showing the subforums in the TV forum at the top of the page before the TV forum threads. *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kaimera wrote:
    I actually prefer showing the subforums in the TV forum at the top of the page before the TV forum threads. *shrug*
    That would be better, aye. Unfortunately, pretty much none of the forums are subforums of Television, which IMO is how that works.

• Advertisement

That would be better, aye. Unfortunately, pretty much none of the forums are subforums of Television, which IMO is how that works.

Ah ok. I just assumed they were cos it made sense to me that they would be subforums of TV.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Right.

I knew this would appear in here!

From my PoV, it would be a damn messy sight if I allow a thread for every episode of every show (of which there are many), and included with what are pointless polls.

Similar problems used to happen on the Soccer board with loads of threads on Liverpool for example, about new signings and rumours etc. which was sorted out by just having one massive thread on the subject.

Of course there is the option of a subforum for each show, but that'll make things rathre messy too perhaps. Though if there were, a Sticky with links to each relevant thread/show would be created. It's just a case of where do you draw the line?

I cannot see a problem with just having one thread for each show. Just use the spoiler tags as mentioned in the charter.

If ye want the Heroes thread locked, I will do so no problem. Just give me a reason why.

I actually really like the way it was one thread per episode. Seems to work well in the Prime Time Cartoons forum. Saying that, Television is a lot busier so I suppose it's needed for housekeeping.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If a show is busy enough to cause problems in the main category forum it should probably get its own sub-forum.

Also, I'll look into making TV the main forum but I think it will be messy because of the sheer number of subforums and then stickies that you would have to scroll past to get to the threads. I dont think that would work tbh...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Myth wrote:
    I actually really like the way it was one thread per episode. Seems to work well in the Prime Time Cartoons forum. Saying that, Television is a lot busier so I suppose it's needed for housekeeping.

That's the way I keep it in 24. It's easier to moderate aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Sparky-s wrote:
    That's the way I keep it in 24. It's easier to moderate aswell.
    Yeh but you're talking one thread for each episode on a forum where one series is being discussed. The same is done in Lost but when you get into the realm of the Television forum where 100 shows could be discussed at once do you want a thread for each episode?

byte

DeVore wrote:
    If a show is busy enough to cause problems in the main category forum it should probably get its own sub-forum.

Also, I'll look into making TV the main forum but I think it will be messy because of the sheer number of subforums and then stickies that you would have to scroll past to get to the threads. I dont think that would work tbh...

DeV.
    I have to agree that it would look messy with all the sub-fora listed on the main Television page.

It would possibly be neater for a Sticky on the Television forum with direct links to each relevant sub-forum.

byte

steveland? wrote:
    Yeh but you're talking one thread for each episode on a forum where one series is being discussed. The same is done in Lost but when you get into the realm of the Television forum where 100 shows could be discussed at once do you want a thread for each episode?
    Exactly! I do not have a problem with a seperate thread for each series (for those programmes with more than 1), but a thread for each episode is going OTT.

Anyway, with regards the current situation, Iguana has started a new Heroes thread on Television, where certain rules apply. I think (s)he did a good job, and it might set a precedent for other series...

Aside from Heroes and Jericho, what t.v. series are being discussed on the television forum, on an ongoing basis? :o

But yeah, this non-problem will be solved with another forum! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The television forum is hardly getting clogged with these threads, at the moment there is one thread on Heroes on the first page (with a whopping 3 replies) and two on page two.
    It doesn't need its own forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

rb_ie wrote:
    The television forum is hardly getting clogged with these threads

It's not getting clogged because your not allowed post any extra posts in relation to any TV program series.

For popular programs imho it doesn't really work. For example if you wanted to post a synopsis on Hiros powers I can't create a new thread (as it is not 100% the same topic), instead I have to post into a thread where possible spoilers are going to appear or derail the thread itself.

rb_ie wrote:
    The television forum is hardly getting clogged with these threads, at the moment there is one thread on Heroes on the first page (with a whopping 3 replies) and two on page two.
    It doesn't need its own forum.
    And that particular thread was created after the proceeding episode had been discussed but before the new one came out... go look at it now...

However, if you really feel it doesnt deserve its own thread, rather than just wanting to be heard or post count++, then go post about it on its new forum thread.

I personally think its an injustice, forcing discussions to one thread. As far as I'm aware it has never, to this date, happened to any other series or t.v. program until now. Furthermore, this show is really, really good. There is alot to talk about but very limited space to do it in.

But mneh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hobbes wrote:
    It's not getting clogged because your not allowed post any extra posts in relation to any TV program series.

Whoops, I wasn't aware of that...:)

Advertisement