Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7900GTO PSU Question

Options
  • 10-11-2006 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I have just received a 7900GTO which looks very nice indeed. I tried installing it but my PC just won't manage to boot...I get to the windows loading blue screen before the login page and it just seems to hang.

I have a 450W PSU with what seems to be 2 12V rails. 1x17w and 1x18w. The card is looking for 22w on the 12v rail. I don't really understand this whole "rails" malarky. Is the PSU just too weedy for the card and if so I assume that is what is causing the boot problems?

Is there any way to join the rails together to get this thing started?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

What you could try is remove any other peripherals from the system like PCI devices, disconnect power from any extra hard drives & optical drives only the bare minimum to make the system boot into Windows and see what happens.

{You did remove the driver for the previous GPU in the system before installing this new card ?}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I did this last night after getting home late from work. I upgraded from a 6800GT to a 7900 and I had the latest drivers allready installed. I didn't remove the driver which now in the cold light of day may be the cause of these problems.
    8T8 wrote:
    What you could try is remove any other peripherals from the system like PCI devices, disconnect power from any extra hard drives & optical drives only the bare minimum to make the system boot into Windows and see what happens.

{You did remove the driver for the previous GPU in the system before installing this new card ?}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well generally going from NVIDIA to NVIDIA is okay but it may be an avenue to pursue. Do you still have the 6800GT try putting it back in the system if it loads as normal remove the drivers via add/remove and then run driver cleaner to remove any NVIDIA remnants.

After that try the 7900 again and see it it loads to the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

did you try booting to safe mode? maybe removing old drivers from there is possible

hold down f8 just before windows starts to boot

a 450w supply should be well strong enough for most graphics cards.
    i did have a problem before where the machine would not switch on because the power drain from the graphics card was too heavy. Needed a time delay circuit to delay the supply of power to the graphics card by a second or so. since your getting the windows boot screen this doesn't sound similar

Advertisement