Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different sizes????

Options
  • 10-11-2006 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

My friend bought a graphics card today, think it was a GeForce model the standard one they sell in PC world. He has a dell 5150c which has a small silver tower. Anyway the card doesn't fit,the tower is about half the size too small.
    What kind of cards does he need to get? Does he need to get a PCI-express:confused: ?

Appreciate help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

According to the Dell website, the 5150c takes PCI Express. Was the card he got AGP, do you know? There is no AGP slot on the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 5150 is the half-width case Dell; if he wants a GPU, he needs a low-profile (half-height) card -- and as fas as i can see, the only cards being produced are the ultra-low end 7100/7300 nVidias, and some x1300-based ATi's. Oh, and really old 6200s, FX5200's... crap like that.
    Not worth it IMHO; tell him to bring it back.

*edit* Of course, he could always run it with the case open, or cut a slot in the case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep he's gonna be really disappointed if he planned using it as a games machine...

I think there might be a low profile 7300GT, while not an amazing card it would be the best low profile option, about the same as a 6600GT performance wise.

Advertisement