Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on!!

Options
  • 10-11-2006 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

Rockstars rock out to Guitar Hero -- and some of them have difficulty playing their own songs! :D

When's GH2 out again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I tip my hat to anyone who can finish these games on expert, they are very very tough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vegeta wrote:
    I tip my hat to anyone who can finish these games on expert, they are very very tough

Yeah got as far as No One Knows on expert :eek: Now there's a challenge.
    Out this day two weeks. Well, there goes my December :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think I got close to finishing most songs on Expert myself, except for the big three -- Bark at the Moon, Cowboys from Hell & Frankenstein.
    Frankenstein kills me on Hard dammit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

2 of my friends have finished it

I'm so jealous, I cant even cope on Hard and I play guitar in real life, obviously not very well though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It took me months of practice to nail Cowboys from Hell and Bark At The Moon on hard. But the satisfying feeling when "YOU ROCK!" pops up on screen is immense.
    And apparantly "Psychobilly Freakout", "Freebird" and "Hanger 89 (or other generic number)" in GH2 are much much harder than those in the previous games. Decembers gonna be a long month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I finished the game on extreme about a week ago, and I bought it on release, was stuck on Bark at the Moon for about two months. One tough mother of a game, roll on GH2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

It took me months of practice to nail Cowboys from Hell and Bark At The Moon on hard. But the satisfying feeling when "YOU ROCK!" pops up on screen is immense.
    And apparantly "Psychobilly Freakout", "Freebird" and "Hanger 89 (or other generic number)" in GH2 are much much harder than those in the previous games. Decembers gonna be a long month.

Hanger 18 and it's by Megadeth. It looks ridiculously hard. I got past the whole lot on expert, but i've played guitar for 5 odd years. That said, I can't see myself ever getting 5 stars on Bark or Cowboys. Just too tough.

Strangely enough because of the ho/po mechanic in GH I find it alot easier to play in intro to cowboys on a real guitar than in the game!! Supposedly addressed in GH II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

I really hope so it was the only flaw of the first one, is there any1 who could actually do the hammer ons or pull offs?

j0e wrote:
    I really hope so it was the only flaw of the first one, is there any1 who could actually do the hammer ons or pull offs?

Nope that was the thing that always prevented my getting those last few expert songs. The tutorial was no help whatsoever. They say they've fixed it, but we will see.
    8 Days, wahoo!

First Impressions:
    Right, played as far as Killing in the Name of on hard (song 21 I think) and the game has adressed the hammer on pull off problem nicely. Much easier to pull off those B*****d solos than it was in part one.
    The song selection is very good, although the difficulty level is very odd indeed. While Ive completed all songs so far on first go - some with 5 stars - some of the songs in section 2 seem much harder than section 4. It's not too bad if you are used to it, but for newbies it may be a little disconcerting (although I wouldnt reccomend hard for first timers just yet :) ),
    As I said though, song selection is great - Heart Shaped Box / KinNo / Monkey Wrench being highlights so far.
    Biggest disapointment : the censoring of the most important lyrics in Killing In the Name of. You know the ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Now, I'm no expert on GH. I couldn't even finish the first one on medium! But I've walked through the whole of GH2 on medium completing every song bar one first time, including some 5 stars on the first couple of sections. I can't help thinking it's all a bit too easy.

I do like the selection of songs, as I've always been a lover of heavier stuff, and they seem more intuitive to play than the last lot, but the difficulty setting is a bit too low, unless I've become a Guitar Hero maestro in the last few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Aye I'm about half way through on hard and its been a tad on the easy side. Reports from the other side of the pond are that its a much harder game overall, so perhaps all the difficulty lies on expert

Oh and
    TROGDOR!!!
    Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoying it too.... I like the fact that 100% ratings are marked with 5 gold stars (giving you something else to shoot for). The lag calibration for HDTVs is also excellent, and works a treat.

Some **** songs, though... Lamb of God? WTF?

When you get to
    Freebird
    it is unbelievable. They build it up so much, then wham - epic.
    While I thought the first 30 songs were easy enough, the last ten are very hard indeed (misirlou for example). And it seems harder to get 5 stars this time around.
    The song selection is definitely better though - some stand out songs indeed. But as TmB said, a couple are garbage (mostly towards the end).
    But still, after playing all the songs now, I can't praise the new hammer on / pull off system enough. So much easier, so little pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

jonnybadd wrote:
    Oh and
    TROGDOR!!!
    Rocks
    :: Mild warning as the link is to one of the unlockable songs ::

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZpQmtjfsZU4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Right i am thinking of getting this for christmas and just looked at the link above and see the way it comes up yellow, blue and whatever do you have to put your fingers on them buttons and then hit where the strings should be or do you just have to press the buttons.
    Also can you buy gh2 without the guitar because i am thinking of getting 1 & 2 and there is no point having 2 guitars or is their a kind of battle or co-op mode. Sorry for the newbie questions but need to know. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LOL everyone starts off a newbie at this game - new controller and all ;)
    Yes, you have to have the buttons held down, then flick the "strum bar" to register a note.
    I'm sure shops will sell you GH2 w/out a guitar, or sell the guitar seperate, too. But GH2 especially has battle and co-op modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah, you can buy GH2 without the guitar (well you can in Game on Henry st anyway) but you can also buy GH1 and 2 with the guitar in one boxset.

Jello wrote:
    you can also buy GH1 and 2 with the guitar in one boxset.
    Can you get that in Henry st. How much is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Can you get that in Henry st. How much is it.
    Can't remember if it was in Henry st. that I saw it but it was around €100.

• Advertisement

OK Ill have a look. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I've been playing the first game on the pc. I can't get 5 stars in Bark at the moon on Easy. Using a keyboard is hard though :p

Advertisement