Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch noise???

Options
  • 10-11-2006 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I noticed this morning that when I press down the clutch it makes a screeching noise. I thought at first it was a belt slipping its that kind of sound but not as loud. When i stopped I noticed thats its only when i press the clutch that the sound comes into it. I can only hear it when one of the front windows is down. Its a 01 TDdi mondeo.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Sounds like what happened to me in my old car, turned out that it was the release bearing, I had to replace the whole clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep sounds like the release bearing alright. If the mileage is high then you should consider getting the clutch replaced at the same time as the gearbox will already be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ickle-lollipop

it sounds like you need a new pedal box but i wouldnt get freaked ou a squeaky clutch isnt serious anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jood wrote:
    Sounds like what happened to me in my old car, turned out that it was the release bearing, I had to replace the whole clutch.

that's what happened to a Rover 214 I had.

Screeching noise eventually followed by the release bearing going.

Had to replace the clutch and bits of the gearbox. Get it done quick before it causes anymore damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

it sounds like you need a new pedal box but i wouldnt get freaked ou a squeaky clutch isnt serious anyway

Thats what I thought untill one day I stopped at the traffic lights and I couldnt get the car into gear, the clutch was gone, I'm only sorry I didnt get it checked earlier it cost me 300e to get fixed and I'm told that that was resonable. I'd get it looked at if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cucullan wrote:
    I can only hear it when one of the front windows is down.

I doubt its a pedal box - the noise would be coming from inside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

crosstownk wrote:
    I doubt its a pedal box - the noise would be coming from inside the car.
    No I wouldn't think its the pedal box either as the noise is coming from the engine. I asked a couple of lads today (not mechanics) and they said a release bearing also. I'll get it looked at asap and find out for sure.

Advertisement