Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not connected to local exchange

Options
  • 10-11-2006 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

I live in Macroom in Cork half the town has broadband with eircom and the other half, which Im on, doesnt! One side of the town is on the "exchange" and the other side, which is separated by a bridge doesnt!

What does it mean when they say we're not "on the local exchange"? Would it be a big job for eircom to "connect us to an exhange"? Ive been on to them before about it, but to no success.

I dont get it...there is a couple of thousand ppl living there without broadband, Im sure that if eircom connected us then they would get a lot of business from the residents there! I dont understand why they're not doing anything about it!

Frustrated in Cork...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I live in Macroom in Cork half the town has broadband with eircom and the other half, which Im on, doesnt! One side of the town is on the "exchange" and the other side, which is separated by a bridge doesnt!

What does it mean when they say we're not "on the local exchange"? Would it be a big job for eircom to "connect us to an exhange"? Ive been on to them before about it, but to no success.

I dont get it...there is a couple of thousand ppl living there without broadband, Im sure that if eircom connected us then they would get a lot of business from the residents there! I dont understand why they're not doing anything about it!

Frustrated in Cork...
    Because, eircom can make a lot more money if your stuck on dial-up. You can thank Noel Dempsey's lack of leadership for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Because, eircom can make a lot more money if your stuck on dial-up. You can thank Noel Dempsey's lack of leadership for that.

Not in my case though, dial-up pisses me off so I just dont bother using it! If I had broadband though Id surf at home...at the moment I do whatever I have to from work :)

Not in my case though, dial-up pisses me off so I just dont bother using it! If I had broadband though Id surf at home...at the moment I do whatever I have to from work :)
    Have you looked into Vodafone's 3G broadband. It's not bad. That's what I'm using at the moment and I'm only in a 2G area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Eircom make a lot more money from broadband than they do from dialup. There can't be more than half a dozen saddos doing more than 5 hours a day on dialup on the wrong side of the bridge in Macroom, and there'd likely be far more people willing to hand over their 30 euro for broadband than for 150 hours of dialup a month.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    Eircom make a lot more money from broadband than they do from dialup. There can't be more than half a dozen saddos doing more than 5 hours a day on dialup on the wrong side of the bridge in Macroom, and there'd likely be far more people willing to hand over their 30 euro for broadband than for 150 hours of dialup a month.
    I reckon they do make more money on dial-up. My bills were around €120 a month on ISDN. What are the Ireland offline facts on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

macroom has 3g

Sponge Bob wrote:
    macroom has 3g

just rang them and signal is supposed to be quite good...

how different in speed wise is it from broadband? would it be as fast? would watching videos on youtube for example be ok?

its €49 per month, would it be worth the extra cost?

thanks for all this info guys!

Have you looked into Vodafone's 3G broadband. It's not bad. That's what I'm using at the moment and I'm only in a 2G area.

what speeds are you getting sam?

• Advertisement

what speeds are you getting sam?
    About 44-55 Kb on 2G (good dial-up speed) and about 288-300 Kb on 3G( near BB speed). The only thing that sucks is 5G "cap", because I'd go way over that if I was living in a 3G area.

Advertisement