Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cold mornings screeching for first minute

Options
  • 10-11-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

lately, every morning from the cold start I get a slight screeching when I start up and drive for the first couple of mins. Then disappears. It only happens also when I have my foot on the accelerator, if I ease off the noise disappears. Once the engine gets warm, its gone. Car is not affected by it at all. Fan belt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like your auxiliary drive belt (fan belt) maybe slipping. Eventually it will happen all the time. Best to get it replaced. It could be that the automatic belt tensioner (if fitted) is faulty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep sounds like the fanbelt/drive belt.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

my wife had a Polo with a screech in the morning only...it turned out to be the timing belt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ...Fan belt?

Yes, almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lyre61 wrote:
    my wife had a Polo with a screech in the morning only...it turned out to be the timing belt!

Impossible - the timing belt is toothed and cant slip - if it does it results in serious engine failure - it was most likely the timing belt tensioner that was at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Lyre61 wrote:

most likely the tensioner or tensioner bearing as illustrated.

It is common for the belt that drives the alternator to slip after starting, due to the increased load due to a cold battery that needs rapid re-charging, rear window defrosters, lights, wipers, fan motors all being on at the same time and on some diesels, aux water heaters, yes, an electrical water heater to get it hot fast.

So either check your Alternator belt tension or simply change it if you have an automatic tensioner and see what happens.
    There are some treatments for belts to make them "sticky", however if the belt is a few years old, it's in need of a change anyway.
    You might check the condition of your battery and insure that it is not dropping to too low (<9VDC) a voltage when cold, sign of a degraded battery.

If you have an auto tensioner and a new belt continues to noise, you could simply ignore it, it will stop in the spring when the days get warmer and longer, OR you could change the tensioner....may or may not solve the problem.

Advertisement