Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Height

• 10-11-2006 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Wud any of u girls go out with a guy if u were taller than him in
    1 your high heels
    or 2 flat shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

if i was taller then him in heels i wouldnt care becuase i dont wear heels that oftten and i f i was taller then him in flat shoes it would bother me a little bit but if i liked him id get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I'm about half an inch taller than my OH in my bare feet and love my high heels so am always taller. It doesn't bother me and doesn't bother him either. Maybe it would if he was really small but quite tall myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'm 5'8" and I've dated people ranging in height from about 5'6" to 6'5". If I like someone, it wouldn't really bother me if they were a bit shorter than me. I rarely wear heels anyway (apart from when I was seeing the 6'5" guy :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

coolguy wrote:
    Wud any of u girls go out with a guy if u were taller than him in
    1 your high heels
    or 2 flat shoes?
    Yes and yes... and I'm only 5'4/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ickle-lollipop

not a hope like i haveto have a taller man i love my high shoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tiggs

Generally I would say yes this is a problem for me BUT this was before ;) i;ve since changed my opinion...

I do like tall, rugby build guys though and don't think I would initially be attracted to a smaller guy (I'm 5'7) but I have been proved wrong on the smaller guy thing many many times before...

Way I look at it now is if they have a nice personality get over the height...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Yup I would - and have done plenty of times in the past!
    You gotta look beyond looks and see the person inside.
    And as my friend says "A fallen tree is easily climbed"

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

It's all about confidence my friend! If you act embarassed about it then everyone will think it's strange, but if you're relaxed and couldn't care less (which you shouldn't) then nobody will think twice about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm very shallow here, no, I would not go out with someone shorter than me. I do not care if they are cuddly, not that good looking to other people (if I was dating them they would be good looking to me) but height is one of the deal breakers for me. Am 5ft 2in.

CathyMoran, do you think that you wouldn't go out with a shorter guy because you are quite short to begin with? I don't mean this in a funny way - just that alot of "shorter guys" are around 5'7, so for you a 'shorter' guy would have to be dramatically smaller than that?

What I mean is, is it just personal taste for you, or do you take into consideration the fact that he must be really small compared to everybody to be shorter than you in the first place?

• Advertisement

CathyMoran, do you think that you wouldn't go out with a shorter guy because you are quite short to begin with? I don't mean this in a funny way - just that alot of "shorter guys" are around 5'7, so for you a 'shorter' guy would have to be dramatically smaller than that?

What I mean is, is it just personal taste for you, or do you take into consideration the fact that he must be really small compared to everybody to be shorter than you in the first place?
    Sorry, just re-reading this now. The smallest that I would go for would be 5ft 7in and he would have to be perfect in every other way. My fiancee is only 5ft 10in and I only dated him because he was perfect in every other way, previously the shortest man that I had dated was ft 11.5in and I nearly did not date him as I thought that he was too small. I just do not fancy short men, just like I do not fancy men who are not intelligent, it is my personal preference, shallow I admit but I like to feel protected by a man as I am so small.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm only 5'5, so no, I wouldn't date a guy shorter than me. Preferably, I like my nen to be really tall, like over 6 foot, but I'd settle for 5'10 +.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm 5'2 ish so I'd have to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

If I liked him I would. I'm 5ft5 so don't usually come across guys shorter than me tbh. Usually the same height or taller.

Though I must admit I do tend to be more attracted to guys that are taller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

No and no but probably because I'm not that tall myself. Went out with a 5ft 7 guy before and he was too short for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

/me shrugs - doesn't bother me at all. I married one, in fact. My husband is 5ft 7" so exactly the same height as me. He is utterly unphased by the notion of me wearing three inch heels when we go out. Sometimes I wear high heels. Sometimes I don't. I don't recall anyone else ever commenting on it. "OmiGOSH your bloke is loike SHORTER DEN YOU!!" -- I can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Until very recently, average height for Irish men was 5ft 8" or 5ft 9". It's only in the last few years has there been an explosion in heights (diet, lack of activity, I don't know) The notion that a man who's 5ft 7" is in some way exceptionally short is a strange development. I'm a guy, I'm 5ft 9" and my fiance is 5ft nothing. I would like to think though, if she was 5ft 7", she wouldn't be so shallow as to not go out with me because I wasn't the exceptable extra five inches taller. It's not a good criteria for finding a partner.

I think that some smaller women like the idea of being protected by a taller man, certainly I do. If I was taller I imagine that I would have less issues that way.

I'm 5ft 9" and I don't feel unable to protect my better half. I don't feel intimidated by taller men at all. Of all the people I know who I wouldn't like to tussle with, I'd say half of them are the same height as me or shorter. In fact, alot of taller guys are of the opinion that shorter men are scared of them, and are accordingly quite arrogant and cocky towards smaller people on the subject of physical force. Two guys I work with (ones 6ft 2", the other 6ft 3") who are all into weights and martial arts, and talk about such things constantly, shut up about the subject really quickly when they met another guy I know who is 6ft 7" and plays rugby at a high level.
    Bruce Lee was 5ft 7". Height has no bearing on ones ability to protect anyone (unless your lined up against the wall, and an insane terrorist says he's going to shoot any woman with a stumpy boyfriend:confused: )
    There's few enough nice guys out there, so don't rule out the shorter in stature as you're halving your chances.

My fiancee said that he was 5ft 10in, but he is probably 5ft 9in...with him I must admit that I would not have cared because I love him. Edit: the first time I met him was just over 10 years ago, he was sitting down, I fancied him instantly though I did not start to date him for another year (9 years on Thursday :D), height was never an issue.

There is one guy that I used to fancy that was only 5ft 6in but he was a martial arts teacher among other things.

I would be small and tiny and while I am a tomboy in my mind, physically I am not so a man being protective is important to me, I probably set back feminism 20 years but I am an old fashioned girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm only 5'6" and thankfully my wife is only 5'3" its enough of a difference because I know comments do get made when a guy is smaller than the woman they are seeing.

*Edit: Of course it helps that I'm a roide! ;)

Yeah. A friend of mine who's 5ft 6" has had two long term relationships and both girls were 5ft 7" or 8". he had alot of jokey comments to his face, and behind his back, but to be honest, he didn't care as both were gorgeous. People were just having a go out of jealousy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

Well i am 5' 10.5" so a girl of 5' 8" would be taller than me in high heels.
    So there are quite few girls taller than me in heels
    Whenever a girl i am interested in is taller than me i wonder if she would not be
    interested in me beause i am smaller than her, that is why i asked the question.

Personally I would have no problem dating a girl who is taller than me when she
    is wearing flat shoes and much taller than me in high heels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

it really depends on the guy and how much I like him. If it's just in high heels, I'd ditch the high heels. But if it's in flat shoes, I'd honestly have a problem with it. I don't really know though why. If feels wrong. But then again, if I really like him I might get over it after some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Hmmm I just have a mental thing....like being with a taller guy makes me feel protected or something. To be honest though, I'm only 5 foot 0 inches so dating a smaller guy has never been an issue; but I like men who are very tall

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Fella i just split up with, was with him 2 years, and he was just a tiny bit shorter than me in flat shoes. Didn't bother me. I used always wear high shoes but it bothered him being shorter than me and hated me wearing heels. So for me it made no difference, we used just laugh about it (he always looked down to see if i was in heels or not), but out in a pub he used hate me in the high shoes. Make me sit down so people wouldn't see. Few times i did wear the heels he would would ask why do i have to wear them. So no to me it doesn't matter if they are shorter than me. It bugged him more than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm 5' 1" so no... Needs to be tall. 6ft is ideal height, my boyf is 5' 10" in his Docs. I think couples made of two short ppl looks ridculous! Also the tom Cruise Katie Holmes/ Nicole Kidman thing looks awful too. The average height for women is 5' 5" apparently. So unless you're under that height I'd say your grand. Wear built up shoes a la Bono if necessary! I've never really found tall girls that attractive tbh, I thought most men went for short girls in general anyways like the whole "AWH!! aren't Oriental girls so tiny n fragile... must.. protect!" I'm rambling now.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Im 6"00 and the smallest ive dated is someone who was 6"1'. I wouldnt intentionally not go for a smaller man its just that I feel really lanky,akward and stupid when Im standing beside a small guy. Also I love wearing heels and I feel like a man if Im standing beside a guy shorter then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I'm pretty tall myself, I have a very long body and long legs too it sucks. I would love to have that feeling of having a tall man 'protecting' me and feeling petite :( So...I probably would dump a lad if he was distinctively shorter than me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

CathyMoran wrote:
    I think that some smaller women like the idea of being protected by a taller man, certainly I do. If I was taller I imagine that I would have less issues that way.

I have 2 small female friends (one of barely 5' and one of about 5'2") who always seem to go for men of 6'3" or more and I'd never really thought about it in those terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Kolodny wrote:
    I have 2 small female friends (one of barely 5' and one of about 5'2") who always seem to go for men of 6'3" or more and I'd never really thought about it in those terms.

Yeah its really annoying tall guys go for small girls which leaves us tall girls with no one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm 5'7 which is on the taller side of average for a girl, I guess. I usually like taller men between 6'0-6'4. But I work with gymnastics, so I meet many men who are my height or shorter. I wouldn't rule out dating one of them who was 5'6-5'7. One of my gymnastics friends is 5'1 - I've never seen a man so short! Some of the girls are taller than him. I don't think I could date someone that short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

Bigger guys are more attractive to women in general and are more succesful in life. I'd like a woman taller than me but its not going to happen unless she's a freak. Love that spooky waifish look.

Bernie Ecclestone, Bono and Prince might beg to differ:D A very broad statement indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

panda100 wrote:
    Yeah its really annoying tall guys go for small girls which leaves us tall girls with no one....
    Actually, I find there is very little tall girls in pubs and clubs. Saying that, I'm 6 foot 6 (6 foot 7 with me boots on), and usually look for goths, but meh.

=-=

As for the thing about a girl being taller, its the same stigma if she's older than him, earns more money than him, etc. Old old sh|te from Olde Eire, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

A very broad statement indeed.

Its actually from numerous social studies.

Those studies forget to mention that most guys are ridiculously insecure though, and that confident shorter men are easily as successful as tall men. Those ads on the radio, "WOW I BET YOUR INSECURE CAUSE YOUR LOSING YOU'RE HAIR WHICH MEANS YOUR KIDS WON'T LOVE YOU SO BUY THIS BRAND NEW PRODUCT" aren't thought up for no reason, you know :D But I do agree that those studies are probablly correct, simply because so many people have self esteem issues which stop them from ever achieving very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 007IRE

Budd wrote: »
    Bigger guys are more attractive to women in general and are more succesful in life. I'd like a woman taller than me but its not going to happen unless she's a freak. Love that spooky waifish look.
    thats rubbish, look how successful bill gates is and he's like 5 ft 8(average)
    Bono is about 5 ft 5(short) and Bernie ecclestone is about 5 ft 2(short)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If I really liked a guy, I'd date him regardless of his height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

thats rubbish, look how successful bill gates is and he's like 5 ft 8(average) Bono is about 5 ft 5(short) and Bernie ecclestone is about 5 ft 2(short
    I think you'd agree they all have pretty nice bank balances too. There is more than one way for a girl to feel protected.
    and are more succesful in life
    True statement if you look at history in general. If you look to Napoleon and Hitler etc there are plenty of exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement