Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting LCD tv on platerboard

Options
  • 10-11-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

The dividing wall between my house and the neighbours is platerboard. Im looking to mount about 10-15 kg tv on this wall and so was looking for the wooden studs behind the plasterboard but all I can find are small rectangular areas - i was expecting beams the lenght of the wall.
    Anyone know what these rectangular areas are and how I should correctly mount this tv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

voxpop
    Dividing wall 'tween you and neighbour must be block / brick (fire regs). Your plasterboard covering may be on 2x1 battens, or may have been "cowboyed" with a few lumps of plaster to which plasterboard is stuck. A search for stud nails / screws with mini metal detectos (€ 15??) might give you the answer. Big TVs are heavy..investigate the possibilith of partially recessing the TV in the wall, ie attached directly to blocks, nicely framed by plasterboard, with timber surround. Watch out for ventillation to keep TV cool,may have to increase openind beyond minimun and use some thin backing (for appearance)
    Hopes this helps
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Its a rented house - so partially recessing the tv is really a route I dont want to go down.
    I have a cheap detector from Argos - on the stud mode it doesnt really give consistant results, although I think it is supposed to find edges. I'll try using the metal option on the detector and see what it shows up. The rectangular areas themselves are about 11cm x 14cm or there abouts and dont seem to be in any particular pattern - they do sound very solid when knocked on - more like concrete than wood though ?!?
    Would the plasterboard screws (the ones that expand out behind the plasterboard) be enough to hold a tv ? Im thinking it might be a bit dodgy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Sounds like you have a "blobbed" wall i.e. the dividing wall is block and the plasterboard is mounted on blobs of plaster or somesuch. I know mine is the same.

I'm going to be mounting an lcd on it as well and I'm not sure what way I'll be going about it. I was thinking of drilling through the plasterboard and into the block with whatever anchors I decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had the same problem, but it was on an internal wall
    I open a gap in the wall from the other side and no more nails'ed a block of wood onto the inside of the plasterboard wall then drilled through the plasterboard and wood and screwed the wall plate to that...

Depending on the gap you have you should be able to screw right to the wall
    Though if you get some of those heavy duty plasterboard plugs you should be fine.
    There is a metal version that says they support something like 20kg each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

tapest wrote:
    voxpop
    Dividing wall 'tween you and neighbour must be block / brick (fire regs). Your plasterboard covering may be on 2x1 battens, or may have been "cowboyed" with a few lumps of plaster to which plasterboard is stuck.

Sorry mate you are wrong, the dividing wall does not have to be block or brick. Have you ever heard or timber frame houses? You are also wrong to consider a blobbed plaster board wall to be "cowboyed" as you put it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    Sorry mate you are wrong, the dividing wall does not have to be block or brick. Have you ever heard or timber frame houses? You are also wrong to consider a blobbed plaster board wall to be "cowboyed" as you put it. :rolleyes:

Any answers to these rectangler areas behind my plasterboard - if its wood or some such I can maybe mount the tv on these but I was expecting a timber frame as you mentioned......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I have a 14" portable on a TV stand hanging of plasterboard with these fixings
    Its been hanging for about 18 months now

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100067&ts=06295&id=11923

well I was looking at using some like this (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100067&ts=06823&id=33559) - it says for "Heavy Duty" in B&Q.....not sure what this means. I dont want to break my new tv when it falls from the wall!

One way to solve this it to build a "false wall" out of a couple of 2 x 4 timbers and a piece of ply.

Screw the 2 x 4 vertically to the wall (full height of the room) spaced the width of the tv apart and then screw the ply to these timbers and fix the tv mount to the ply, paint timber the same colour as the wall.

Two advantages, load is distributed over a wide area of wall and to the floor and small holes in the wall quick to repair when you leave.

FX Meister wrote:

Yep I have heard of Timber frame houses,but being an old timer, when I think of house I think brick/block. It's probably an age thing. That being said, the next time I down in the sister -in -law's TF house , I'll poke my head in the attic. I stand to be corrected, but if memory serves me right the dividing "wall" is not timber. You've raised my curiosity now.
    As regard the other matter...It was probably unfair of me to use the expression "cowboyed*, but these quick installation methods leave something to be desired. And before you ask..I'm not in the building industry ....now, was, but not now...but I'm still not too far removed, and still have an interest.
    Regard and best wishes...mate
    t

• Advertisement

Do you think those plasterboard screws (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=12229&ts=77538) would be good enough to support a TV ? I did run a handheld metal detector thingy over the wall and it didnt register any metal at all behind the wall - so maybe it is plaster "blobs". Would these blobs add extra strength to the tv mounting at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Blobs do nothing for you strengthwise

You have to find something solid to mount too. Either timber or straight into the concrete block if it exists. If its a rented house perhaps you shouldn't mount it on the all but get some sort of stand for it. Are you allowed mount it on the wall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

VOXPOP
    Try them inside a cupboard or somewhere out of the way. you will be amazed at how much a few fitted properally will hold a good weight.
    The TV I have hanging up is and old type which must weigh a good few KG

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tapest wrote:
    That being said, the next time I down in the sister -in -law's TF house , I'll poke my head in the attic. I stand to be corrected, but if memory serves me right the dividing "wall" is not timber. You've raised my curiosity now.

A timber frame house can have a brick, block or timber party wall.

To the OP, It is hard for us to give good advice as the exact situation you are in is a little vague.
    As for the plaster plugs, they aren't great, they rely om the slab too much and fail often. I find the older fibre plugs better for plasterboard as they use a smaller hole and rely on friction and not cuting into board. But I dont know what their max load is, and If it was me, i'd make a large hole in the slab, in a hidden area to find out what is behind wall. To be wall mounting a TV, i'd only mount to brick or block, or timber if it was installed with TV in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I would be wary of fixing directly to plasterboard only. The best success I've had is with the butterfly ones that clamp the plasterboard. But even then I try and get at least one fixing into timber or brick/block.

Today I made a small exploratory hole in the plasterboard and it seems there is about 15mm of plasterboard and then at about 25mm there is some concrete blocks - so I was thinking of using some 100mm masonry screws to mount the tv - would that work ? I guess I just need to drill some pilot holes and then screw in the screws through the plasterboard and into the blocks?

The dividing wall is tiber framed a lot of the time but it is double slabbed on both sides. I've wired a lot of tham and we cannot put any sockets on the dividing wall due to regulations.
    tapest wrote:
    I stand to be corrected, but if memory serves me right the dividing "wall" is not timber. You've raised my curiosity now.

I was going to say to cut out a square with a pad saw so you could see in behind the plaster board. Is it solid blocks or cavity blocks do you know? I would try long expansion bolts into the concrete blocks myself.
    voxpop wrote:
    Today I made a small exploratory hole in the plasterboard and it seems there is about 15mm of plasterboard and then at about 25mm there is some concrete blocks - so I was thinking of using some 100mm masonry screws to mount the tv - would that work ? I guess I just need to drill some pilot holes and then screw in the screws through the plasterboard and into the blocks?

It should be solid blocks, but its easy to tell by looking as long as it done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

FX Meister wrote:

Sorry FX, you are wrong . Timber framed houses still have 9 inchs of blockwork between them!

• Advertisement

Sorry FX, you are wrong . Timber framed houses still have 9 inchs of blockwork between them!

I'm not going senile after all lol
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ollie30

a lot of timber framed semi detached houses come with a dividing stud wall which is double slabbed on both sides i know this cause my own house is that way it def. meets fire regs so no need for block wall.to op i have hung some heavyish things using spring toggles however because a large hole needs to be bored to allow toggle through i fill the hole the hole with grip fill making sure it mushrooms out the back tighten your screw,let it set and it seems pretty strong...................so far

FX Meister wrote:
    I was going to say to cut out a square with a pad saw so you could see in behind the plaster board. Is it solid blocks or cavity blocks do you know? I would try long expansion bolts into the concrete blocks myself.

i dont know if its solid or cavity - how do I know ?

Nope you're wrong. Timber framed houses can have brick, block or timber framed party walls.
    As ollie30 said, hey should be double slabbed to comply with fire, but they should also be structuraly separated as to complyfully, such as with sound regs. And certain junctions need careful detailing.

Is the general idea to mount tv on the plasterboard but fix it to the concrete behind ? The blocks look something like this
    concrete_block_insulation.jpg

would I be better cutting out an area of platerboard the same dimensions as the TV mount and fix a wooden block directly to the concrete wall behind so the wood is flush with the existing plasterboard and then fix the tv mount to the block of wood (see attachment) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yep, that should work, though just make the hole the same size as the vesa bracket, they are actually pretty small

I assume you are using a VESA bracket and not an "arm" or platform or something?

yeah its a VESA bracket this B-Tech one. Do i need to know what type of concrete blocks im attaching the wooden block to, i.e. solid or cavity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Just out of curiosity, what route are you running the cables?

How have others here ran cables to the wall mounted TV?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I bought a Vogels EFW 6245 mount for my tv last week, along with their cable management and equipment support systems - namely the EFA 6835 column system and EFA 6825 equipment support.
    I've a little tidying up to do yet but the stuff is sex itself, hides all the cables away beautifully and looks very classy IMO.
    Will post pics tomorrow if you're interested.

Advertisement