Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting LCD tv on platerboard

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

voxpop wrote:
    would I be better cutting out an area of platerboard the same dimensions as the TV mount and fix a wooden block directly to the concrete wall behind so the wood is flush with the existing plasterboard and then fix the tv mount to the block of wood (see attachment) ?

I would be wary if its not your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id attach some wood, to the wall, if its the connecting wall and its block then its more than likely solid.

Leave the wood a few mill shy of the plasterboard, that way you can skim/fill the gap and it should be pretty invisible.

I hung a 17 inch in the bedroom, I had to change the mount to one that was adjustable as it was pretty much impossible to view it properly from the bed.
    Id make sure that the viewing angle is correct before you start attaching it to a wall, these LCD's can be very dark if you are not looking at it bang on.

How are you going to attach the timber to the wall?
    It will be noisy nextdoor if you are drilling, might want to take that into account.

For my cabling I have a small hole (about 2 inch diameter) below the mounting bracket, the co ax and power cords come out here an into the back of the TV, the other end of them is inside the wall to sockets in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Leave the wood a few mill shy of the plasterboard, that way you can skim/fill the gap and it should be pretty invisible.

GreeBo thats exactly what I want to achieve - added stabiltiy where Im mounting the tv but little or no visible difference from the rest of the wall.

I was thinking of using either some sort of expansion bolt as mentioned already or rawl plugs and screws or maybe just some concrete screws (any recommendations ) - either way I figure some drilling would be involved or would something like gripfill work ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

If it were me I'd drill into the block and fix the timber to that with heavy screws.

Advertisement