Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 10-11-2006 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Have any of ye been in this situation, I'm at the end of the road with over the phone troubleshooting my new BT Broadband connection. BT can't find anything wrong with the line tests and they have given me new CPE to try but the problem remains ie the DSL light only stays on for 20 seconds and then goes blank for 5 seconds and then flashes for another 20 seconds before going through the same cycle again and again and again.

BT are now at the point where they are requesting me to bring in an Electrican (at my own expense) to check out my one and only phone socket in the hallway which is the main socket that was installed when the house was built. By coincidence Eircom sales rang me during the week asking me to go to them, but I explined my BT situation. The Eircom guy said that all that us required of me is to instruct BT to get them to request an Eircom technician to call out to look at my phone socket as he said that the line running up to this socket belongs to eircom including the eircom stamped phone socket itself. Has anybody out there allready gone through this experience and if so do you have any advice as to what I should do?

In Short....Got BT modem equipment 3rd of October, paid BT 175 Euro on the 24th of October via DD. Still dont have any BB service.... Now BT want me to fork out to get my only phone socket checked by an electrican from my end. Feeling lke a right mug.... BT say that if teh Electrican sends in a report to say that he did not find any wrong with teh phone socket wiring and the cable run into teh house then they will invalidate the contract and issue a refund minus line rental and calls incurred to date from teh time of switching over. The biggest call cost to me at the moment is to the 1890923111 tech support number which has reached about 10 euro to date from 03rd Oct.

Any advice ? :confused:

Chris.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Well if you are paying line rental then why should you pay for a engineer to come out and fix your socket? It should be either BT or Eircom fixing this for free.

Also if the fault is not with the socket and you are charged make sure to seek a refund from BT.

So if you should have to pay make sure to keep all your reciepts and also seek a refund/credit from BT for any internet service charges for the service you have not yet recieved.

As for the phone call coming to 10.00 euro. I think its doubtful they would refund this cost as its a subsidised as a lo-call number already. Maybe call them and ask them to call you back -> risky with any call centre but it may save you some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

You might be hard pressed getting an electrician to look at your phone line m8..not really their field is it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I had this problem before. Turns out it was a problem in the exchange. You'll need to (as instructed by the Eircom sales rep) ask of BT to request an Eircom technician to look at it.

The reason I'm guessing they haven't done this already is because they see your line as being DSL enabled and connected from the connection report they got from Eircom. So they are trusting Eircom that this information is correct. This is not BT's fault at all, they are the victim of incorrect information being provided to them by Eircom.

Thankfully it was a little easier for me to sort out because I'm with Eircom and they automatically assigned an engineer to the problem. You've already fallen foul to one of the disadvantages of ordering from a reseller - if a problem falls in between the cracks of Eircom and BT, it becomes difficult to resolve and in the end it's the consumer that loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GitzyMaher

Thanks all for your replies, I rang BT tech support today and told them what the Eircom sales guy told me. From this point they are in contact with Eircom to establish if they can get an Eircom engineer out to look at my socket.

I'm still going to have to chase their case on this as they never got back to me today to say if they actually managed to schedule an Eircom engineer or not to come out......

Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GitzyMaher

The latest is that they have requested Eircom to do a line test on the phone line to check for quality of copper and any excessive signal noise evident on the line that would explain sync dropout. The tech support guy insists that this type of test was not done before on my line , ( I think they are talking out of their arse).

I feel I'm back to square one with these people. They're not getting any more money out of me until it gets fixed, if it gets close to the billing period 25th of the month I'll have my DD cancelled by the 20th. Again if anyone has experience of getting BT to agree to invalidate a Broadband contract then for the sake of my sanity reply !! :eek:

Chris.

• Advertisement
Advertisement