Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your advice

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

We are about to have a new baby, our first :D

We also intend on getting dogs, but have not decided when would be the best time.

Some people reckon get the dog soon after the baby is born, as this way the Dog won't feel neglected when the attention shifts to the newborn

Some people reckon it doesn't matter.

Some people reckon we should wait until the child is more mature, e.g. 6 or 7 years old.

I am not sure, as I see all points of view.
    Personally I would be inclined to get the dogs soon after the baby is born, as then they all grow together, and each will be more comfortable with the other. Also, the dogs will mostly be outside pets, but would be allowed in the house.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

First of all congrats on the new baby.
    Secondly, would you be ready for a second one if a puppy is got soon after or before the birth? A pup is going to need attention also.
    If it was me, I would wait until the baby is maybe 6 months old. At least that way the excitement of a new born is gone and would help reduce jealousy from the puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks.

I have had dogs before, and am fully aware of what they require, which is why I am being cautious about this decision.
    Also, I am still finishing of our fencing, to keep any dogs in the garden.

6 months makes sense, but nearly all suggestions I hear make sense, flip.

Advertisement