Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two-way for cyclists

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

On continental Europe there are one-way roads and lanes that are specified two-way for cyclists (i.e. with a sign and everything).
    I heard there were isolated cases of this in Ireland - can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not sure if its what you mean but on Alfie Byrne Road to Dublin Port, there's a segregated (from traffic) two-way cycle lane along the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is a short stretch of a 2-way cycle lane on churchview road in killiney.

What bugs me is people on dual carraigeways on the lane going against the traffic and giving no way to people going in the correct direction. I sometimes cycle on the "wrong" side of dual carriageways, but always give total leeway to oncoming cyclists, I either stop and pull the bike completely to one side or go on the grass. Some come at you dead centre in the path coming the "wrong" way, and expect you to go up on the grass! :(

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=535359

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Oh, do one-way signs apply to cyclists...? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fnord

Thanks for the responses. I don't mean roads with two-way cycle lanes - maybe I should have been more clear. I'm referring to roads without any cycle lanes/paths, that are one-way for motorists but two-way for cyclists.

Here's a report on a German study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I don't know of any, I think that one way streets are one way for everything, but I do know that there are some contra-flow cycle lanes around, one that springs to mind is on Andrews Street (at the other end of suffolk street to grafton street). A few more would definately be nice!
    R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Fnord wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. I don't mean roads with two-way cycle lanes - maybe I should have been more clear. I'm referring to roads without any cycle lanes/paths, that are one-way for motorists but two-way for cyclists.

Here's a report on a German study.

whoa, if you gave that to a dubin city council planner, it would make his/her head spin, never mind motorists. Makes sense though.

There is a stretch of cycle path that starts just after the DIT at bolton street and links further along to capel street proper, while cars and other traffic to exiting from parnell street (past the Cineworld) go in the opposite direction along a short one way stretch to get onto bolton street.

Some motorists have flashed at me on this short section, presumely to tell me I'm going in the wrong direction along a one-way street, but the direction of the cycle symbols painted on the road tell I'm going in the right direction. Hence my point about the advancing thinking in relation to the German study. Too many stupid irish motorists simply couldn't handle the concept of cyclists being allowed to cycle either way down a one-way street.

Edit: contra flow cycle lanes, that's the term i was looking for, thanks randomname2005

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fnord

Itsfixed wrote:
    it would make his/her head spin
    Indeed. That's why any sort of precedent around the country would help.

As far as I know, all one-way streets in 50km/hr zones in Belgium are automatically two-way for cyclists.

While it may seem counterintuitive, especially to non-cyclists, there are obvious safety advantages, such as visibility of oncoming traffic and the predominant orientation of parked cars. The latter means that any doors being opened suddenly are more likely to be thwacked shut, rather than send the cyclist flying.

More subtle still, its sheer convenience could evoke cycling envy in the occasional driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's a perfect example in Blackrock of a one way street that is used loads by cyclists going the wrong way. I sometimes use the path, and sometimes the road itself, depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Fnord wrote:
    Indeed. That's why any sort of precedent around the country would help.

As far as I know, all one-way streets in 50km/hr zones in Belgium are automatically two-way for cyclists.

While it may seem counterintuitive, especially to non-cyclists, there are obvious safety advantages, such as visibility of oncoming traffic and the predominant orientation of parked cars. The latter means that any doors being opened suddenly are more likely to be thwacked shut, rather than send the cyclist flying.

More subtle still, its sheer convenience could evoke cycling envy in the occasional driver...

I like it! :D

Advertisement