Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternal working rights.

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:25pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some info if anyone can help.

Heres the story--My wife has just been taken into hospital due to complications at 36 weeks and is going to have a few weeks stay until the baby arrives.

With 2 kids at home Im running late most mornings(school run),taking time off to vist the doctors etc(usually only 30mins to an hour) and am just wondering if my employer can hold this against me if I have a future dispute over something.

Theyve told me that Im fine and theyve no problems with it as they know its only going to be for another few weeks or so but Id just like to find out if there is any statutory rights for someone in a position like me.

If this is better suited in "working" then mods feel free to move it there.

Thanks
    Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hellrazer:

Parent leave rights are outlined here & force majeure details here.

Best of luck - I hope that all goes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

AFAIK there's nothing that covers this. I would be wary of using leave for this as you never know when you might need that in the future. Some companies, allow their managers to give unofficial compassionate leave, or time off the clock at the manager discretion. Do what you can to work some hours back, or if you are particularly worried about it, track all the hours and work them back in the future. Any person with common sense will know the difference between someone taking advantage and someone who isn't. Once you are doing a reasonable amount of work and handling everything professionally, you should be ok. Unfortunately there are stupid people and jobsworths who just won't be sympathetic or reasonable. But it doesn't sound like you are in that position.

You might consider getting some homehelp either from an aupair or a relative just for a little while to get you through the hump. You might need help even after the baby comes home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Start calling in favours without any embarassment from family & friends. You're going to need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I'd second Rainy Day's suggestion, I've a 5 week old myself and 2 others and found myself hospitalised before due date due to an "unstable lie" and then ended up with a section - so all in all was hospitaised for best part of 2 weeks. My husband works nights so he had to have some one stay with the kis quite a few times in the weeks I was hospitalised, he also discussed up front with his boss what had happened and his manager was very understanding, he took another week off when I came hoime from hospital and since then has worked a couple of extra hours every few days to make up for the extra time he was given off. Best of luck
    AD

Advertisement