Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Shopping Centre and Pub Unit

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone...it's my first thread starter!

Have been here now in Charlesland for two years and it's good to see how busy the whole development is getting. But one thing I can't help but notice is that a huge Public House unit with restaurant over it still has a sign in the window 'to let'!

As great as it is having Superquinn Select there for a quick pint of milk, I'd be alot more satisfied if I could get a nice cold pint of beer before getting that milk.

Does anyone know if there is any movement about getting a tenant for the pub unit?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The rent is so high and the leashold is very short so noone wants to do it as its finincially unviable.

Myself and two others were looking at it But we lost interest when we heard of the pricing and cost of fitting it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The thought had entered my head to enquire about taking up the lease, as I was involved in the pub trade in a former life.

Looking at it with a cold eye, the location isn't great and in my experience, bars in/over shopping centres tend not to be ideal. There are of course exceptions, but this wouldn't be one of them.

If you consider one publican thought it better to build his own pub having sought planning permission etc that take a lease on a ready made location, that indicates that it is probably a poor proposal.

Take into consideration also, that the café does quite good food at a reasonable price on weekend evenings and seems to be empty it does make one wonder if it's really a case of "build it and they will come".

And while it would be nice to open so that folk can have a pint of Guinness before getting a pint of milk, I would hate to be my own best customer.

What does surprise me is that the medical centre has had no takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Horrendous was the fit out and lease you'd want to sell about 3000 pints a day to pay that part off alone for the length of the lease.Considering I've never seen all the pubs ingreystones thronged on one night I dont foresee any pub there probably see an application for change of use going through in the future.Maybe someone should contact Peter Stringfella.Deffo sell 3000 pints anight and a lot more.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

The pub will be opening in December if I win the lottery TONIGHT
    Free drink for the first two weeks, and then E1per pint for the Christmas season.
    Pub will close after Christmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

The pub will be opening in December if I win the lottery TONIGHT
    Free drink for the first two weeks, and then E1per pint for the Christmas season.
    Pub will close after Christmas holidays.

Nice thought.........!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know there is work going on in the Chipper/Chinese Take-away unit on the corner of the Charlesland Shopping Centre and would guess they'd be done within the next year....ok...months...

...but I noticed that there were some works being done in the unit to the right of the beauticians...anyone have an idea what it'll be??? Any guesses?! I'm putting in a long one and guessing a florists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

Apparently the dept of Education are interested in this pub building to use as a temporary school until the proposed new school is finished. Part of the car park will be cornered off for the playground. So god knows when it will ever be used as a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cheers

scivvy wrote:
    Apparently the dept of Education are interested in this pub building to use as a temporary school until the proposed new school is finished. Part of the car park will be cornered off for the playground. So god knows when it will ever be used as a pub.

What a great headline for a paper 'Kids being educated in Pub' There would be too many objections to this by parents, i'm sure that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cheers wrote:
    What a great headline for a paper 'Kids being educated in Pub' There would be too many objections to this by parents, i'm sure that won't happen.

it was built as a pub\restaurant but its never been fitted out or used as a pub. I'm not sure that it would be suitable for use as a classroom, but it wouldn't be a case of kids being educated in a pub either.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Given the apparent financial distinterest in the pub (birdwatcher's obviously imminent lottery win aside), I wonder how many takers there will be for the mini-Dundrum thats being proposed? Anyone else suspect cheap rents for commercial property in the Greystones-Charlesland area in the near future???? Or is that just cynical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

ideal spot for a lap dancing emporium all the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought it would make a good snooker/pool hall - none in the area since sweeneys was demolished. if you could buy a beer there as well, all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Greystreets

loyatemu wrote:
    I thought it would make a good snooker/pool hall - none in the area since sweeneys was demolished. if you could buy a beer there as well, all the better.

Good suggestion, would great to have a place for a few frames and a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Remember that place in Ranelagh, 4 provinces I think it was called (is it still there? probably apartments by now!).

It was a pub to the front and a snooker hall to the rear, great spot. Little hatch you could get a beer from. Yes I think that would do well in charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

FirstIn wrote:
    Remember that place in Ranelagh, 4 provinces I think it was called (is it still there? probably apartments by now!).

It was a pub to the front and a snooker hall to the rear, great spot. Little hatch you could get a beer from. Yes I think that would do well in charlesland.
    FYI 4 provinces is due to be a superquinn or a tesco can't remember which.

If I missed a comment made previously I do apologise for a repeat post. Yes, the ATM is installed (not working just yet) but at least thats progress. See attached pic!

Let me see; auctioneers are in, beauticians are in, dry cleaners (well lets not go there), the 'hot-foot takeaway' almost finished, GodFather's Pizza are in, Boylesports are in....so no sign of a Tenant for the Licensed Premises (I wish the new Woodlands Lodge was nearer!:().

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

That's hilarious taking a picture of an ATM!!! But brilliant - can't believe I didn't see it - how long is it there? (apologies if you said this already):o

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

The planning permisson was granted in August 2006, so they were dragging their heels trying to find a provider.

Anyhoo, it's installed now I wouldn't say it would take too much longer to get it up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Plenty wrote: »
    The planning permisson was granted in August 2006, so they were dragging their heels trying to find a provider.

Anyhoo, it's installed now I wouldn't say it would take too much longer to get it up and running
    or before someone pulls it out of the wall!

MegFi wrote: »
    That's hilarious taking a picture of an ATM!!!

Oh, the advantages of having camera phones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Miss D

I enquired about the premises, wanting to open a Sports Bar there, however the rent put me off - no wonder it's not been taken up they want 250k per annum plus you'll have the cost of fitting it out on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Anything would be better than that 'Script' place that was open a few years back. The state of that place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Miss D wrote: »
    I enquired about the premises, wanting to open a Sports Bar there, however the rent put me off - no wonder it's not been taken up they want 250k per annum plus you'll have the cost of fitting it out on top!
    You would wonder what the advantage of leaving it empty for three years has been.

Advertisement