Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste charges

Options
  • 10-11-2006 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

We moved into a house just over a year ago (October last). At that time, the then owner told me that the waste charges were paid up to date. I have no reason to doubt this, as all other services were indeed paid at least up to date, if not beyond.

Since then I received no correspondence relating to bin charges. Being unfamiliar with the system, Ithough perhaps that they are charged on an annual basis, and was expecting a bill any time now.

This morning I got post addressed to the previous owner, with the Dublin City council logo on the envelope. Aha! I thought, here it is.

The bill covers 3 month period from July to September, for which the standing charge and lift charge come to a little over 40 euro. Based on this, the charge for a year should come to about 160 euro, maybe 200 max.

But the bill includes a balance carried forward from a previous bill of almost 250 euro. There is no way this can be right for the 9 months from the time we moved in to the end of June. Since there were no previous bills (and I know this, because I was looking out for anything that might be relevant, and spotted this one straight away), I have no idea where this charge is coming from.

I'm also surprised that they're still collecting our rubbish if we owe them this much!

I've mailed Dublin City Council and asked them to explain the charges, or at least send out the missing bills, but what I'm wondering is where I stand on this if it does turn out that there were significant outstanding charges when we moved in. Do the charges attach to the property, and did I implicitly take them on when I bought it? Or is the old owner liable, and can I just tell Dublin Council to take it up with him?

Do I have any comeback against Dublin Council for failing to bill me for 9 months? If they had billed last December it would have been much easier for me to chase up an outstanding debt with the previous owner then, rather than a year later?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Did you purchase the house or rent it? As part of a purchase, your solicitor should have checked for outstanding waste charges - give the solicitor a call and ask him why he didn't check this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

€40 for 3 months seems very cheap. My guess is the standard chrge for a year is about €300, but you may have had fewer lifts in July / September period thus the lower charge.

Bin charges are attached to the property, so unless the solicitor was a monkey this would not have been overlooked. - Main problem is that your name is not registered with the council and that previous bills were probably re-directed to previous owner by an-post.

Advertisement