Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared of theism

• 10-11-2006 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭John Wine

Hello Atheists,
    I have a topic to discuss?
    Some atheists seem to be afaid of theism or get freaked out about parts of it of by theists expressing their views.
    I appreciated this is only a percentage perhaps the minority, but I would be interested on your views on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What do you mean by 'scared'?

Surely Theism is an overwhelming majority in this day and age and the vast majority of Atheists realise that and have done for most of their lives. What is there to be 'scared' of?

Nothing in religion freaks me out, though it all confuses me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'freaked out about parts of it of by theists expressing their views.'

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭John Wine

'freaked out about parts of it of by theists expressing their views.'

Care to elaborate?
    Look at Richard Dawkins, he seems to get a bit freaked out by theism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

John Wine wrote:
    Some atheists seem to be afaid of theism or get freaked out about parts of it of by theists expressing their views.
    I appreciated this is only a percentage perhaps the minority, but I would be interested on your views on this.
    For the most part (as you suggest) this is not the case. I would think it more typical that atheists keep quiet about atheism in the company of certain theists (often older family types), for fear of "freaking" them out.

I can't imagine what an atheist would have to fear from theism - given the definition of an atheist.

Of course there are certain theists that freak me out. Usually the fundamentalist types that are either armed to the teeth or have more power in the community than they have any right to. They should concern any right-thinking person though, believer or not.
    John Wine wrote:
    Look at Richard Dawkins, he seems to get a bit freaked out by theism.
    I'd say perplexed is a better word to describe Dawkins.

Though I'd be freaked if I got some of the threats he gets in his inbox (as per his book) everyday. Again, this is due to fundie types who should freak us all out.

Again, this is due to fundie types who should freak us all out.
    Why do Fundies freak you out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Because of the very nature of fundamentalism? Anything taken to extremes is bad.

Stephen wrote:
    Because of the very nature of fundamentalism? Anything taken to extremes is bad.
    Elaborate, surely that argument could be reversed. Atheism is extreme and is also bad.

John Wine wrote:
    Why do Fundies freak you out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWIb4FwHPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubiP3mP3Ds

Just a snippet of why.

John Wine wrote:
    Atheism is extreme and is also bad.

How is Atheism 'extreme'? Its a belief like all other beliefs, based purely on logic, reason and science.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    How is Atheism 'extreme'? Its a belief like all other beliefs, based purely on logic, reason and science.
    It depends on definition on extreme.
    My point is if you consider Fundies extreme, what is the logic that their position is extreme and atheism is not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

John Wine wrote:
    Elaborate.

fundamentalism = loolaa's who read a book written centuries ago by a king who wanted to keep all the people happy, and believe every word of it without question or thought.

atheism = a belief in nothing without logical, well thought out proof.
    Explain how that is 'bad' btw?

A rather large difference between the two.
    I have always prefered engaging your brain instead of just going with superstition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

John Wine wrote:

I'm sure some do.

More, however, I feel are freaked out not by theists expressing their views, but rather by theists trying to "sell", or "push" their views.

Even then, I would argue that "freaked out" is perhaps not an entirely accurate phrase.

Personally, I don't mind what someone believes in. However, when they start suggesting that I should believe the same thing, or be forced to live my life in accordance with their personal beliefs....then I have somewhat of an issue to the extent that I feel I have an equal right to state my case, to suggest they live by my rules.

I know other people who will argue that a belief structure cannot be seperated from the social impact said belief structure has had. Thus, they hold (for example) a belief in Catholicism as being an acceptance (or support of) certain things. So, they would feel it necessary to tell someone that their theist views are unacceptable because they were responsible for this-and-that.

Deliberately taking an extreme non-religious parallel, you'll get people expressing support for the concept of communism. You'll get others who argue that said people are effectively supporting the oppression that communism has caused around the world and that such oppression has shown that communism is A Bad Thing [tm].

Its easy to misconstrue disagreement with fear and/or overreaction. But at the end of the day, just ask yourself this....if they limit themselves to expressing their fear / freaked-outed-ness, then where's the problem? They, just like the people they're freaked out by / afraid of are only voicing an opinion.

Now...you've asked why they do this. Why not equally ask why theists voice their opinions? Its not like a different answer.

Beruthiel wrote:
    fundamentalism = loolaa's who read a book written centuries ago by a king who wanted to keep all the people happy, and believe every word of it without question or thought.

atheism = a belief in nothing without logical, well thought out proof.
    Explain how that is 'bad' btw?

A rather large difference between the two.
    I have always prefered engaging your brain instead of just going with superstition
    I don't consider atheism bad. I consider it an opinion.
    I can't understand why fundies freak atheists out though?

John Wine wrote:
    My point is if you consider Fundies extreme, what is the logic that their position is extreme

The term "fundamental extremists" didn't come from nowhere. They are considered extreme because the term itself denotes a return to a literal interpretation of whatever text (be it the Qur'an, the Bible etc...) is in question, which in many cases leads to extremist beliefs and practices.
    John Wine wrote:
    and atheism is not?

Atheism, as I have already stated, is a belief in logic, reason and science, which can be proven.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The term "fundamental extremists" didn't come from nowhere. They are considered extreme because the term itself denotes a return to a literal interpretation of whatever text (be it the Qur'an, the Bible etc...) is in question, which in many cases leads to extremist beliefs and practices.

Atheism, as I have already stated, is a belief in logic, reason and science, which can be proven.
    But so what if they have no propensity for logic or science. Surely people can decide for themselves what makes them happy? Why should that freak you out?

John Wine wrote:
    But so what if they have no propensity for logic or science.

Well its just my belief that rationality, logic and science are a necessary part of my everyday life.
    John Wine wrote:
    Surely people can decide for themselves what makes them happy? Why should that freak you out?

Of course people can decide what makes them happy, I have numerous Catholic relatives to whom I have never told my beliefs. Its mostly personal to me.

I've never said religion freaks me out, though fundamentalism pushes me to the edge.

John Wine wrote:
    I don't consider atheism bad. I consider it an opinion.

Watch any of this interview with Shirley Phelps-Roper (a fundamentalist lunatic) and you might realise why fundamentalism freaks me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-xgvTnxPI&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ24gX_dtpE&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-in16plR9Jk&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x176aI15Y_0&mode=related&search=

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I've never said religion freaks me out, though fundamentalism pushes me to the edge.
    Ok, Shirley Phelps-Roper is a bigot, so I can understand that. But about fundies who are not biggots. They are just mad into the Bible but definetly not biggots?
    Do they freak you out and if so why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Hendrixcat

Atheist have good reason to be scared on fundamentalist theist. If a fundamentalist revolution ever comes to our part of the world, atheist will be first against the wall because their distaste for non-believers is even greater than their distaste for other theist who merely don't follow the same religious dogma. Also attempting to reason with a fundamentalist bent of murder is akin to trying to reason with a crocodile as it grabs you by the leg and pulls you in to the river. The depth of a fundamentalist's irrationality is breathtaking and something to be genuinely feared. As for your common or garden moderate theist who mostly has religious beliefs either out of fear of coping with a reality dominated by random chance or an inability to put his/her rational faculities into action, these peple don't worry me at all.

John Wine wrote:
    But about fundies who are not biggots. They are just mad into the Bible but definetly not biggots?

Thats fair enough, and once they don't preach hatred and/or offer disdain towards other religions I've no problem with them.
    John Wine wrote:
    Do they freak you out and if so why?

Not really "freak me out" but I certainly don't understand why they believe what they do.

I'm curious as to your beliefs or opinions on this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Religious fundamentalists are worrying because they would like to change society to live by the rules they cherry pick from their various holy books and not offer an ounce of evidence as to why such a policy is for the mutual benefit of all, other that they consider the salvation of an imaginary soul into an imaginary afterlife of the upmost importance over any "material" issues that we actually know exist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

John Wine wrote:
    Elaborate, surely that argument could be reversed. Atheism is extreme and is also bad.
    I going to assume you mean extreme atheism here.

But what that is I do not know. How do you have an extreme disbelief in something? Anarchists or Nihilists might well be atheist, as might a social worker or a mother of five. It's not atheism that defines how they live their life, it's personal morality.

Fundamentalists don't have to be bigots to be disagreeable. Would you want your children taught that the world is 4,000 years old in science class? Is that any way to open a child's mind?

Enough questions - where are they coming from? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I don't find thoughtful believers disturbing.

I find disturbing anyone who has invested their entire belief in what someone else says - whether that's fundamentalist Protestants, Catholics, Marxists, Muslims, Guru Swami Blah, L.Ron Hubbard, Dr Joshi, whatever they follow.

Atheists are not usually so disturbing, because in general they are not following what someone else has said.

Those who simply parrot other people's lines without understanding them have abdicated a certain responsibility. I would consider them less than human, if you like.

The best analogy I can think of is that they're like people driving using a book of directions, rather than looking at the road - a danger to other traffic.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

John Wine wrote:

Well you're the only one claiming that they do. Personally I am not freaked out by fundies, many of them are complete idiots with brainpower on a par with monkeys, I actually pity some of them, but I do find religious fundamentalism (or indeed political fundamentalism,they're often linked) highly objectionable and a rotten stain on humanity.

Fundamentalism of this kind requires no thought whatsoever, you have your position at one end of the spectrum, usually plucked selectively from some ancient B-Movie script like the bible, and you stick to it rigidly, closing your mind off to anything that might contradict your viewpoint in any way, even if it's backed up by strong evidence. Evidence doesn't matter you see, we're right and everyone else is wrong. End of story. And the rest of you are going to hell, possibly after I send you there with my bomb or bullet, under god's command of course.

Such is the attitude of the fundamentalists. This type of brainwashed closed-mindedness invariably breeds bigotry, hatred, intolerance and quite often violence. It's not just atheists who should have a serious problem with that way of thinking (if it can be called thinking at all).

aidan24326 wrote:
    Well you're the only one claiming that they do. Personally I am not freaked out by fundies, many of them are complete idiots with brainpower on a par with monkeys, I actually pity some of them, but I do find religious fundamentalism (or indeed political fundamentalism,they're often linked) highly objectionable and a rotten stain on humanity.

Fundamentalism of any kind requires no thought whatsoever, you have your position at one end of the spectrum, usually plucked selectively from some ancient B-Movie script like the bible, and you stick to it rigidly, closing your mind off to anything that might contradict your viewpoint in any way, even if it's backed up by strong evidence. Evidence doesn't matter you see, we're right and everyone else is wrong. End of story. And the rest of you are going to hell, possibly after I send you there with my bomb or bullet, under god's command of course.

Such is the attitude of the fundamentalists. This type of brainwashed closed-mindedness invariably breeds bigotry, hatred, intolerance and quite often violence. It's not just atheists who should have a serious problem with that way of thinking (if it can be called thinking at all).
    So do you hate all Priests?

John Wine wrote:

He never said he hated anyone, why do you keep putting words in peoples mouths?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He never said he hated anyone, why do you keep putting words in peoples mouths?
    Ok, I rephrase the question.
    What is your opinion of Priests?

John Wine wrote:

No I don't 'hate' anyone. I can have a problem with what someone does or how they think without necessarily hating them.

In any case, obviously not all priests are fundamentalist in the way I've described. I should think (and hope) that most are not. I can still very much disagree with their modus operandi i.e follow the word of some ancient book and pray to an obscure god no more likely to exist than any sky monster or rain god that anyone ever prayed to in the past. But many priests do adopt a more open-minded view than those who would be considered fundamentalist, and so that makes your question a rather silly one.

aidan24326 wrote:
    No I don't 'hate' anyone. I can have a problem with what someone does or how they think without necessarily hating them.

In any case, obviously not all priests are fundamentalist in the way I've described. I should think (and hope) that most are not. I can still very much disagree with their modus operandi i.e follow the word of some ancient book and pray to an obscure god no more likely to exist than any sky monster or rain god that anyone ever prayed to in the past. But many priests do adopt a more open-minded view than those who would be considered fundamentalist, and so that makes your question a rather silly one.
    I think what is silly here, is the definition of extremists and fundamentalist keep changing. I thought atheists were supposed to be hyper logical.

• Advertisement

John Wine wrote:
    Ok, I rephrase the question.
    What is your opinion of Priests?

My opinion on any priest would depend on the priest himself. I've known priests who I'd consider nice decent men, even if I don't entirely agree with their take on the world. On the other hand we all know of some pretty vile priests who've done some terrible things. (Then again there's no real proof that being a priest caused them to do those things, they might have been like that anyway, and being a priest perhaps gave them access to certain things and a position of power they wouldn't otherwise have had. But that's all another matter for another day).

So on a personal level I would try to judge a priest as I would anyone else, while generally disagreeing with alot of what they would believe in and the way they came to hold those beliefs in the first place.

Advertisement