Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great home for neglected dog

Options
  • 10-11-2006 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

My brother recently got a two-year-old lurcher (greyhoundy-type dog) from a shelter and I'm delighted to say he has provided an absolutely wonderful home for her. But the reason he was so taken with her was because she looked so sad. It turned out she was discovered by a farmer in his barn giving birth to her litter of nine pups. Someone obviously dumped her once they discovered she was pregnant. What about getting her neutered, you bastards?!:mad: I'm sorry, but every time I think about it, it breaks my heart. I'm welling up right now. How can people be so vile and cruel? It's a question that has been asked so many times on this forum, I know, but it never ceases to blow my mind. It's obvious from the way she behaves that she was once a domesticated dog, who was probably treated well, yet even these apparently good owners still dumped her! When my brother got her she was skin and bone and, as I said, looked so sad. And she was so meek and quiet and well-behaved - it was as if life had beaten her. But after a couple of days, she wagged her tail and the sadness is gradually going from her eyes. She has not one but two indoor beds! And a nice big kennel. And my brother is mental about her. He takes her for two hour-long walks a day - one before he goes to work. He's also working on fattening her up - but with decent food, not that nasty tinned stuff. I'm really proud of him because he's not the soppy type at all, but Polly has clearly melted his heart. Just wanted to share that with you guys. And remember: please get your dog or cat neutered!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

What a great story - sounds a wonderful home - pity there aren't more like it. Yes neuter neuter neuter.
    It's the only way to go - most of the dogs I see in pounds and rescues are not neglected dogs - not battered just allowed to roam free as the wind and are not neutered and come in pregnant ?

When will we learn in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

That's really great to hear Dudess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thanks Clare! Yeah, I just love her! She was probably one of those dogs you mentioned, Suzy, who may not have been abused but was just left to her own devices. Went to see her today. She was smiling and wagging her tail non-stop! She whines a bit whenever my brother leaves the room - adorable! Dogs are so trusting and loving - maybe a bit too much for their own good sometimes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have two lurchers both of whom I found wandering. They are wonderful pets. The latest guy was incredibly thin and mangy when I found him but has come on so well in the two months I've had him... just got him neutered during the week there...

Here he is when we found him... he has quite a thick coat so he doesnt look as thin as he actually was, there was nothing on him.

Bob1.jpg

a week later...
    Bob5.jpg

and last week.. very far away, I've no close ups...
    Bobscarr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw fantastic! Yeah, my brother's lurcher is the sweetest darling of a dog I've ever met! It must be in their nature to be so lovely. You're right - fantastic pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

have you got any pics? I cant get enough of lurcher pics, they all look so different!

Advertisement