Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TK Maxx coming to Cork?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I was there today too,
    First impression; like Michael Guineys* but without the size range

* people laugh at that place but it does have some good items, although I'm surprised it didn't close during the celtic tiger years... a 3 story building near to bnoth the south mall and patrick street...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Very poorly laid out, imo.

Yeah u really have to search around and through lots of stuff to find stuff. U def have to work for your bargain. Especially for the guys as any TK Maxx i've been to always has a pretty small guys section

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

does anyone know the history of the nice restored building at the entrance to tkmaxx from Paul Street. also i notice many old tombstones laid up against the wall there. it would be nice if a short history of the place was put up somewhere round here. I suspect there must be an old church here long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

I think that building is an old huegenot graveyard/church thing, not entirely certain. In fairness I really think that aspect of the entire development really stands out. I appreciate when you see developers integrating older parts and remaining respectful and tasteful. Overall I think it's a nice development. I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion to be honest. Only briefly poked my head into the tkmaxx section, but it looked like people were stocking up for the apocolypse :eek: so I've decided to go have a look see properly another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

, but it looked like people were stocking up for the apocolypse :eek: so I've decided to go have a look see properly another day.

What are they doing with the shopping trollies? While I'm liking TK Maxx they aren't selling anything that wasn't available before, not even Penneys have trollies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I think the old hugenot graveyard is in Careys Lane. The tombstones are neatly stacked up against the wall and it would be nice if some history of the place was put up somewhere. the newly restored building is very impressive. Dare i say you cant beat the old buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I was in there yesterday. The place is fairly decent in size but the place was way too packed! It kinda felt like Pennys on a Saturday afternoon only twice as bad. I know it is only open but I hope it wont be like that the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Do they have the toy section there? The one in Limerick always has bizarre collectibles as was mentioned earlier...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep they have a toy section.
    I think it's ok once you have time on your hands - I picked up a very nice shirt and belt at less that half of what they normally cost. Both were current season too...
    You can get some really random stuff in there, but if you get in soon after a delivery you can be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think it's awful. It's basically designer Penneys. Admittedly I went in during the afternoon on the second day it was open so it was bound to be a bit mad.

I just can't see myself shopping there unless I go into town early in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Nice t-shirts at reasonable prices if you can find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Very poorly laid out, imo.

Agreed. Was in there today and the place was a tip, didn't get much of a chance to look around, going tomorrow with a bit more time on my hands so i'll make a proper decision on it then :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a dive of a place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Been in a lot of TK Maxx's, this is the first I feared for my life in :P Mini-stampede next to me when some new shoes were put out, they're reduced, not cures for cancer!

Think a lot of the staff there are overwhelmed and/or undertrained tbh also. Half of Cork nosing can't help :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

To Be fair to it it's the same as any other TK Maxx I have been to.
    The dont bother too much with the layout and display, just lump the clothes/products in sectins.
    It's up to you to find the bargin/size/style ect
    If you are going there expecting it to be laid out like a normal Dept store then you are in for a shock.
    You need to go in with an open mind and plenty of time on your hands.
    But the first few weeks are going to be pretty mental all right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is it open on Cornmarket Street yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Went in last night and it was quite as. Very easy to get around. Got a nice pair of shades, though I think I got carried away by the fact we could actually see the sun yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

shnaek wrote: »
    Went in last night and it was quite as. Very easy to get around. Got a nice pair of shades, though I think I got carried away by the fact we could actually see the sun yesterday.

I'd say it's nice when it's quiet alright. I hate shopping in crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I went in Wednesday at six, it was fairly quiet. I love the place - lots of random stuff and all categorised to make it esay to find things in your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Anyone know what nights they are open past 6?

Is the rest of the centre open? What's in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Kazbah wrote: »
    Anyone know what nights they are open past 6?

Is the rest of the centre open? What's in there?

Thursday and Friday they are open til 9. There doesn't seem to be anything else in there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Cheers.

Advertisement