Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit cards

Options
  • 10-11-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just tinkering with a website and was wondering could anyone describe how to set up a shopping cart.

I more interested in how to actually setup the online payment part i.e. connecting to the credit card companies and security. Is there any software I can buy to do this ?

I've heard that there are some companies on the web that do this (even paypal)
    but I'm trying to learn here and if in the future I was to make website for a business they would not want to be paying commision on each of their transactions

Any taughts/comments, presume someone here has done this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

try worldpay.com or realex.ie

the charge set up fees monthly fees and transaction fees. cheaper than a commission but still quite a charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Cheers mate ... like your link btw, I dunno, does he really take Mastercard ? :)

Has anyone done this without a "go between" to the credit card companies or is it generally excepted to take the hit on Internet sales ?

he really did take mastercard!

you could try the visa and mastercard sites, see what they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I would recommend using www.2checkout.com

To answer your other question to accept credit cards there is a fee no matter which way you do it. Which method to chose really depends on the volume of transactions (low vol 2checkout, worldpay, paypal / high Vol use releax or other merchant terminal soultions).

cheers
    fintan

am i reading right on that 2checkout site... 5.5% plus 45c per transation with a $45 set up charge?

Paypal is free, and is 3.4% plue 30c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

comer_97 wrote:
    am i reading right on that 2checkout site... 5.5% plus 45c per transation with a $45 set up charge?

Paypal is free, and is 3.4% plue 30c
    I seen that too!...the both of us must be reading it wrong, or they are one bloody rip-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

As far as I know paypal do not do fraud checks, 2checkout do.

I also found it easier to intergrate 2checkout into a site. Paypal has a lot of confusing screens (register / log-in etc) which for non-technical customers can be very distressing and increase the chance of them not purchasing.

Cheers lads, loads of info on these sites to get stuck into

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Hi, I saw this kinda question come up on boards a good bit so I wrote a little blog entry about it. It might have some info you are looking for:

http://www.davidbehan.com/blog/?p=7

Rgds,

Dave

Cheers DJB,

nice write up there, like the site btw, It make me think how much more of this web crap I have to learn ;)

Anyway, just a quick one on worldpay, do they support easy integration into your site or does the customer know they are connecting out to the worldpay site ?

cheers

• Advertisement

Hi delanest,

thx for feedback. Probably something I should add into that entry but with paypal and worldpay, you are redirected to their secure servers for the credit payment bit and they send a response to your website as to the success/failure of the transaction. You can customise the worldpay page somewhat but I'm not sure how much. Usually people know they have left your site when using these payment methods. With realex, you have the choice of redirecting to their servers (and you get full control over the look of the payment page) or you can host the credit card page on your own secure server and send an xml message to them with the credit card details.

By far the best choice is realex IMO but I think you need to have (or be sure to get) a certain level of trade before going this route.

Rgds,

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Realex is my choice as well, but god help you if you are looking for help in setting it up.
    Few years back with the normal CC transaction was easy enough, just make sure you are converting the details in the right format before passing them to their server.
    This year we went for the 3DSecure, and after few days of headache, hard work, stress and kept being told that is my code that is not right, I discover a glitch in their part. Adjusted the code to get the response in the right format (one line) and voilà everything worked fine.

The point is make sure you don't need help. The help-desk sucks.

I found integrating with realex quite easy enough. Their docs are quite good and they give you good sample code to work with. Can't comment on your experience with them but any questions I've had, I found the helpdesk quite "helpful" :) I've always found their staff to be quite good and always welcomed your call. I'd go as far to say I'd give them 9/10 for customer support! Anywho... that's my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Was that with the latest 3DSecure processing?
    With the old method had no problems myself. Had it done in 1/2 hour, except the fact that I was told they do check the CVN number as well which wasn't entirely true. Talked to a guy in the bank and as far he was concerned is not possible for Realex to verify the CVN so moved to 3D method.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't google have something similar to paypal and if so is it a viable alternative to paypal?

kbannon wrote:
    Don't google have something similar to paypal and if so is it a viable alternative to paypal?
    Actually came across a site this morning that had this payment method installed. First time I had seen it. AFAIK, when I looked into a while back, it was only available to US merchants but I could be wrong or things could have changed. It looks like a neat checkout plus people will be familiar with Google so trust would be conveyed quickly!

Advertisement