Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

System Requirements for an MS2003ea for AD purposes

• 10-11-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been surfing the web looking for a good document on system requirements and recommendations when building an Active Directory server (the old domain controller). What I was looking for was something along the lines of 1,000+ you should use this and that and make sure that blah, blah. But all I can find is the actual system requirments standards (128MB ram for 2003, you can actually install and run the server on this little memory).

I just had a look at ours- it's only got 256mb!!!

I have a fair idea what I going to do here but it's bugging that I can't get a good answer on this. Okay-

I have a Root Domain and a Sub, all 2003
    4 boxes altogether and a One way trust from the Root domain down.
    I'm replacing the Primary Controller on the Root doman (I know no more PDC/BDC but u know where I coming from)
    Okay thats where the server is, it'll have 4000+ users logging in, and about 100 different Policies (I don't do the group policies bit) pushed out.
    The box is part of a single sign-on solution using MIIS and as such talks to 2 web based apps, an Oracle DB and a Sequel server (thru ldap).
    I would have thought that AD serverers needed a lotta resources but MS quoting 128MB as the min and up to 4GB max.

So, how much RAM do you think is enough?
    Again I don't implemet or know much about group policy but with the current config it takes about 2 and a half hours for policy changes to take effect.
    Account replication takes ages aswell.
    Any load balancing tips or Suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

You seem to have quite a large setup so I dont think any of the Servers I spec would suit. Just one thing struck me
    So, how much RAM do you think is enough

We have 4 Gig as standard in all our 2003 Servers, just to point out that once you go above 4 you need an Enterprise Licence.

Ram is cheap at the moment so If I was going to get an Enterprise licence I would get 8 Gigs and as mentioned I would 4 Gb for standard licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

Man, I thought that 4GB was over kill, even during replication and backups, would it use that much?

...Just looked at the Max supported for Enterprise 64bit-....64Gig...didn't Bill tell us that 640k was enough for anyone, man..most of my servers don't have 60gigs of physical space, Think I going to settle on Two gigs. thanks for the reply, they must be speedy machines you got there!

Advertisement