Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80% of irish have access to bb

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The same Tommy McCabe asked for taxpayers funding of €5Bn for eircom and a few select others so that they could guarantee us UNIVERSAL ACCESS BY SATELLITE (and a bit of copper and fibre) earlier this year.

Yet IBEC, his bosses, did not even murmur that their employee was looking for far too much taxpayers money for this rubbish . You could provide Universal 2mbits for less than €1b by Wireless Copper and Fibre only and let the market take care of things thereafter.

Ignore him, he is not even funny is Tommy McCabe and yes I have read a lot of his enunciations , unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

It should read 80% do not have access to BB!!!! Never read so much crap.

ne way Bertie told his ard fheis that 10%-15% have no access and Tommy called him a liar there the cheeky sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Dellas wrote:
    It should read 80% do not have access to BB!!!! Never read so much crap.

i would really love to know where they are getting there figures from, they are obviously including sat bb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 a line failure

RTE wrote:
    Director of the Telecommunications and Internet Federation Tommy McCabe said with broadband now available to 80% of the population, government and industry now need to turn their attention to demand.
    Demand! Demand!! Everyones complaining about the "sorry, broadband is not yet available in your area" crap and there still want "demand"!!!:mad:
    action must be taken to prevent a digital divide.
    too late, IBEC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Satellite 2 way Internet isn't BB as such. But it is near to 100% coverage.

The 80% is made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is this actually that far off? I mean it sounds like it could be right to me. There are not that many places in Dublin that you cant get broadband and thats a third of the population right there.

If he means Ireland as in people and not as physical locations around the country then it might not be that far off. All the major towns and cities have access.. not everyone has it for their own reasons im sure... Its mainly the smaller towns that do not have it.. i could be wrong here though...

Saruman wrote:
    Is this actually that far off?

It would be 80% if you counted GPRS /Marginal 3G (horrible latency) and about 98% if you counted VSAT (utterly horrible latency) , the remaining 2% are in apartments and are not allowed to install a dish or live under the north face of a mountain and cannot see the sat .

Quality BB coverage
    not including those technologies or sh1te technology like Clearwire and Ripwave is about 70-75% of the population nationally nowadays.

Any scheme needs to start off by assuming that 30% of the population need decent BB coverage and how to sort that out. 10% can be sorted easily and using market mechanisms (threaten to start a wisp and the exchange will be done :D)

10% can be sorted with not much investment

The final 10% is the big problem and will cost but nowadays we should have universal access to stuff like , indoor water , electricity, proper sewage treatment, voice phones, mobiles and now BB. BB is the next development phase if you wish .

Universal TV coverage never made it in Ireland under analogue (so people had to roll their own deflectors instead ) when DTT digital TV rolls out it MUST be the next 100% universal service but only after we sort BB first as they will use the same masts .

A judicious admixture of all of carrot stick and money is whats required . This requires an intelligent and visionary minister of comms instead of Dempsey.

If I had ONE scheme for Cowan in his budget it would be a tax break for investors in masts in rural areas, like car parks and creches in iourban areas , and open the scheme in 2007 and 2008 only (for approval) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Considering that the headline says "Half of Irish Households on the net", there must be a lot of people living in those houses in Dublin! Is there a sudden upsurge in good old-fashioned Catholic no-condom Ireland combined with a load of immigrants sharing 15-to-a-house due to house prices somewhere that are using broadband ?

I think I know the "demand" that Tommy McCabe is really referring to should be turned against him - we need to get people to "demand" the real figures and "demand" that the availability is improved.

I haven't seen that much bull**** since my last trip to the countryside!

TV3 has more coverage than Broadband at only 80% terrestrial. They won't pay for all the repeaters/relays/transposers etc.

NTL got a 20% increase in areas already in theory served by BB simply by upgrading the cable to support it. That to me sounds like shortage of service, not shortage of demand.

Digiweb sells DSL and Wireless, yet Wireless sales madly outstrip DSL sales. This suggest something worng with eircom/McCabe demand/availability viewpoint.

• Advertisement

See
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52335804
    50% of all households in Ireland have access to the internet. However only 13% have broadband connections.

Also
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005708
    ComReg Survey: 46% on dialup cannot get broadband, also of those that are in DSL area and have dialup and apply, 7% fail. The real failure rate is higher as many will use a line checker and not apply.
    Foxwood wrote:
    I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that the 46% is understating things.

It's 46% of 231 respondents. That's 106 people who gave "Broadband is not available in my area" as they reason they're not using it.

But 18% of that 231 answered "Don't Know". That's 42 people. So 56% of the people who actually had an opinion said that "Broadband is not available in my area".

And then there's the 7% that answered "My Line failed a broadband test". That includes people who live in areas where broadband isn't available, as well as people who live in areas where it is avalable, but their line fails.

The official lies need to stop.
    Also
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/10/upc_broadband_numbers_rise/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

could it be 80% of exhanges have been enabled? seems possible but id say only 60% of the population can actually get broadband

c. 470 exchanges out of c 1200 are upgraded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    c. 470 exchanges out of c 1200 are upgraded
    And those 470 exchanges server 85-90% of the telephone lines in the state.

But eircom will not tell us how many of those lines:
    1) Are connected to anyone. Smoe may be spares or go to same premises.
    2) Are two long to work
    3) Won't work due to pair gains (often added since privatised)
    4) Simply fail though without pair gain and not too long.
    5) Have "must have" ISDN, and ulike Germany, eircom does not do a DSL over ISDN line product. (standard elsewhere)

I think the information is regarded as commercially sensitive.

Also 31% of people now do not have a landline anyway...

I have seen NO real figures as to what % of population have dsl and potential to order dsl if not already using it.

My educated Guesstimate is 40% to 60% of people.

Foxwood wrote:
    And those 470 exchanges server 85-90% of the telephone lines in the state.

Its not 80% population and its not 80% of exchanges and its only about 30% geographic .

And an ISDN PRI circuit into a big dublin office is 30 lines according to eircom but is one wire and can only carry 1 bb service and a basic ISDN is 2 lines but can only carry 1 bb service but 2 lines so they are deliberately over counted .

(Hint, country offices do not tend to have PRIs)

Pri is 32 channels. It used to be that one is used for signalling and 31 for speech. But eircom *might* be counting it as 32 lines!

You need good copper to feed Pri any distance.

( used to design 1.544Mbps? / 2.048 Mbps trunk convertors and protocol translators for analogue and digital inter C.O. circuits (Trunks) for about 30 different types of exchange signalling... The most advanced product used 11 x 2.048 Mbps "Pri" as backlplane for eurocard rack and DSP inband tone detection etc in 1986. Distributed processing system using timeslots on backblane for interCPU commnication

Advertisement