Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting to a remote system through a network

Options
  • 10-11-2006 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I have 4 computers on a peer to peer network (All XP)
    All are connected to broadband.
    On one computer there are 2 network cards one is
    connected to our network and the other
    is connected to an isdn router, this allows our part
    ordering software to connect to our supplier and place part
    orders.
    What we want to do is install this part ordering software
    on all the computers to allow all of them to place orders.

So I take it I would disconnect the ISDN router from the
    current computer and plug it directly into the local network
    switch to allow all the computers access.
    But how do i get the other computers to recognise/connect to it ?
    Do i need to use route add to add the relevant details to the ip table

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what is the order software and how does it know the IP address of the parts company) that goes thru the second card and hits the isdn modem

maybe the order software always dials up instead of internet routing so you need to ask the company how to share their software on more than one machine first .

route add /p (persistent) will add a static route, 2 network cars in each computer means you must specify if1 (interface) or if2 for the route as applicable.

route print

shows you how it is setup on the one that works

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Hi sponge bob

The software itself is suzuki parts order software, on starting it up
    it displays a dialog with server ip (e.g 169.0.0.1), username and password box
    click ok and it dials out through the isdn router. This pc is connected to the isdn router through the 2nd network card (This is the only PC that has 2 network cards), which is configured with an ip address and default gateway.

If i disconnect the isdn router off the 2nd network card and connect it to the office network switch the software fails to connect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is the isdn connected direct to network card 2 with a network cable ??

if so put a second network card in all pcs and connect them + the isdn on their own hub and you should be grand

give these second cards a different ip ( eg ending .3 .4 .5 ) but the same gateway address

check with the company that YOU can log in more than once concurrently which can be a problem, they may allow only 1 login per customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    is the isdn connected direct to network card 2 with a network cable ??

if so put a second network card in all pcs and connect them + the isdn on their own hub and you should be grand
    Why would you need a second network card in each machine? Plug the network cable from the ISDN box into a broadband router, and all the PCs into the LAN ports on the router, and all machines will have access to the internet, and still be able to talk to one another (you're probably going to need a NAT router anyway - unless the ISDN box is already a NAT router, it's unlikely to be handing out 4 "real" ip addresses).
    check with the company that YOU can log in more than once concurrently which can be a problem, they may allow only 1 login per customer
    That should really be job #1. If the software is at all picky about multiple logins, then there's not much you can do. But in this day and age, it seems likely that an online ordering application would accept multiple connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Currently i have no username and password for the isdn router.
    the ip address of the isdn router is something like 100.22.1.100
    wheras the local network is 196.0.0.*

If i get the user/pass for the isdn router and change it to 196.0.0.101
    (making sure there's nothing else on the network using this ip.)
    and then add a persistent route to all the machines that use the software
    that should do it, shouldn't it.

And if i don't get the user/pass for the isdn box is 2 network cards
    the only way around it ?

Thanks

Rich

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you seen www.logmein.com? I use it to do some simple things on some pc's we maintain. It's basicly remote desktop through the broadband connection. No file transfer but with access to a big email account like gmail it's pretty versatile.

Advertisement