Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Fajitas

• 10-11-2006 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

Gonna do a spot of cooking tomorrow night...entertain some guests. Gonna make a departure from my usual specialities and cook some fajitas (chicken). I know these are relatively simple to make (at least the ones I usually make are) but is the perfect way to make these bad boys? Marinades...accompaniments etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Fry the chicken (chopped to your liking) for a few mins, and then decide on the following;

-do you want to use all the seasoning mix on the chicken, and then add the veg (onions & green and red peppers personally speaking, some add courgettes but that's not my scene) later, or do you want everything covered in seasoning?
    -do you want the vegetables well fried as well, or kind of raw and lightly heated; personally I don't like when all the veg is fried to f*ck, and just brown and sticky covered in seasoning mix; depends on how spicy people like their fajitas though.

cheese & lettuce to accompany the chicken/veg, and sauce-wise, creme freshe (or mayo if no creme freshe available) and the salsa provided.

When having fajitas (my personal favourite), I don't prepare any starters.

Of course all of the above is using a fajita kit from the supermarket such as Old El Paso or Santa Maria, no doubt there are some who will call me a philistine, and source everything individually, I haven't the time nor inclination to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

good advice Bateman , if you follow those instructions you wont go far wrong. I like to spice it up a little with some chopped chilli peppers :p and some fresh coriander...G'Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

good advice Bateman , if you follow those instructions you wont go far wrong. I like to spice it up a little with some chopped chilli peppers :p and some fresh coriander...G'Luck

Used to get tasty chillies when living north of Spain, but don't bother with them anymore, might try some next time though. Regular peppers can be a tasty compliment to all the spiciness going on at times. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

We do a similar fajita to bateman, but less veg, which sounds nice.
    but i really don't think you can have a fajita without guacamole or salsa..

guacamole:
    you'll need 1 avocado per 2/3 persons - they must be ripe.
    mash up the avocado with a fork
    add a clove or two of garlic
    and a small amount of chopped onion
    squeeze in lemon juice to taste
    throw in a few drops of tobasco sauce
    and finally a smidge of cream/milk if you're stuck

Salsa:
    in a saucepan just cook up some tinned tomatoes, onion and chopped chilli.
    bobs your uncle.

Id also grate a bit of cheese as thats lovely when it melts...

have plenty of napkins cause this stuff is messy...

and i just realised my post is too late...ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

No no...not too late...it's Saturday night, thanks for the advice lads.

What would be a nice accompaniment to the fajitas...as in breads or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

you could try some mexican rice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The secret of great guacamole is freshly squeezed lime juice - it gives it a real zing.

For the salsa, you don't really need to cook anything at all. Just finely chop some ripe tomatoes, add some chopped spring onions and finely chopped chillies to taste.

Make sure you don't overcook the veg - they should be still crunchy. Just a few minutes is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Bateman wrote:
    cheese & lettuce to accompany the chicken/veg, and sauce-wise, creme freshe (or mayo if no creme freshe available)
    Personal taste obviously but sour cream also works quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I know this is late, but:

Make up a chicken chili sauce - I do this using one chopped chicken breast per person, plus two tomatoes, half a red or green pepper and a half an onion. Chop your onions (I prefer very skinny slices to chopped for this), fry it up with some oil, add the chicken and seal it. Then the tomatoes and a little water to help the tomatoes pulp down. Add peppers. Season liberally with pepper, salt, chili powder and ground cumin. Turn the heat down and let it cook until it's quite dry.

Get some flour tortillas, finely chopped lettuce with rocket, and make a mango salsa using chopped mango and tomaotes, with a load of chopped coriander, and a liberal squeeze of lime juice and some separate sour cream.

Serve hot flour tortillas along with a bowl of chicken chili, a bowl of grated cheddar, a bowl of mango salsa, bowl of lettuce and bowl of sour cream. Allow people construct their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Don't buy it in the kit form get everything seperate cause the tortillas in those kits are tiny,better off getting the larger ones which will make it less messy, and if you want use natural yougart instead of the creme fraiche or sour creme , even if you don't like the stuff its really tasty in fajitas

• Advertisement
Advertisement