Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Options
  • 10-11-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these? what they like, on special with expansys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

higster wrote:
    Anyone have one of these? what they like, on special with expansys

I've got one. I had a little trouble with it at first and had to have it replaced, but the second unit is excellent. Great battery life (apparently uses the same battery as some nokia phones), works with every GPS program I've tried on my XDA. It has a great reputation for getting a gps signal, even with some of the new metallic windscreens that block lots of other gps receivers. It even worked well in midtown Manhattan when I was there on holiday recently, despite the skyscrapers and lack of a good view of the sky. I would recommend it.

How much are you getting it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

i got one and it does its job very well.
    it gets a fix quickly, it rarely loses the fix, it's very discrete and it has very good battery life. and it comes with a car-charger.

overall i'm happy with it.
    however i will admit that i'm currently looking for a pocketpc phone with inbuilt gps as i'm getting a bit tired of having to pair my pda with the gps receiver via bluetooth. that way i can switch on gps just like that without any fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

mkennedy wrote:
    however i will admit that i'm currently looking for a pocketpc phone with inbuilt gps as i'm getting a bit tired of having to pair my pda with the gps receiver via bluetooth. that way i can switch on gps just like that without any fuss.

I don't need to pair mine each time, I just switch on the gps receiver and launch the GPS program, and i the two connect automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Ro-76 wrote:
    I don't need to pair mine each time, I just switch on the gps receiver and launch the GPS program, and i the two connect automatically.

sorry, "pair" was probably the wrong term.
    obviously i don't need to re-pair the devices evert time i use them but what
    i mean is the "hassle" of having to turn on the gps receiver, then turn on my pda's bluetooth, then open the satnav app on the pda and then start the gps on the app.

in fairness it only takes about half a minute to do it which is fine before starting off but otherwise it seems it's not that easy to do.

presumably with inbuilt gps it's no more than a tap of a button which i guess can be performed while driving.

Advertisement