Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it like living in galway?

Options
  • 10-11-2006 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Myself and the mrs are thinking about moving to galway in april for the summer and maybe longer (we're 23), i love it there, been going to the aran islands every year for over 20 years so im well used to life out west. Currently living in dublin and im sick of it, i think galway is much nicer and just has a better vibe about it, would you recommend it as a place to live in? what are the good and bad points? any input would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

I would definately recommend you to live in Galway. Galway is such a beautiful, relaxed, friendly and cultural city imo, i lived in limerick for 2years in college and am delighted to be back this year in Galway! So make the move and youl never look back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

During the day you can see the blue sky and during the night you can see the stars..........hard to see through the smog in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You'll find most Galwegians sticking up for their city, and rightly so.
    City centre can be very very busy on weekends but it's still a safe and pleasant city. Best mix of city and country. Traffic is a major problem, jammers all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Well for me (poor student) I love it! Nightlife is great, it's a city without being a city you get lost in(if that makes sense) and the people are great,well most of them,u still get the knackers and the knacker dwarf, he is what is regarded as Galways USP!If you move up you'll see him around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

kevthecelt wrote:
    Myself and the mrs are thinking about moving to galway in april for the summer and maybe longer (we're 23), i love it there, been going to the aran islands every year for over 20 years so im well used to life out west.

Great comparison there mate, the Aran Islands is certainly a great reflection of life in Galway.:D

Anyway ,i think you will like it here.Its a pretty mellow city with good bars and restaurants.15-20mins drive either side of the city centre and your out in the country and theres plenty of places to visit around the the county and the surrounding counties.The summer is a great time to move down here, plenty going on.

The worst thing about Galway is probably the traffic.Rush hour and weekends are a mess but outside these hours its not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You know that terrible feeling when the sun is so hot that it burns your skin and you feel miserable? Well, Galway is the opposite to that.

Galway is best compared to the soothing feeling of when a cool mist moistens your face.

Yeah, it rains a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ErnieBert wrote:
    You know that terrible feeling when the sun is so hot that it burns your skin and you feel miserable? Well, Galway is the opposite to that.

Galway is best compared to the soothing feeling of when a cool mist moistens your face.

Yeah, it rains a lot....

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

During the day you can see the blue sky and during the night you can see the stars

Are you nuts? Galway is one of the cloudiest places in the world.

Galway's ok. I'd much prefer to live in Dublin or the East having been here for 2 years. This place has a time limit. People come here, say they love it and leave 3 years later. Gives the place a transient feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054980409

As you can see,
    it depends on what you want from live.
    I would recommend living here for a while to see what you think of it.
    Kippy

Advertisement