Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it just an error or have three dropped the walled garden?

• 10-11-2006 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I was on my daily free internet access trial earlier and just out of curiosity typed in a few websites i would use to see what would happen. Lo and behold they loaded (these weren't mainstream and one is a chatforum).
    Have three unlocked the garden and allowed us into the big bad net? or did they just forget to lock the door for a few hours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It still works, I was able to access gmail, my own website and others. If you installed Opera Mobile on your smartphone, once you use the phones browser "subscribe" to your trial, or one of the paid services, you can then launch Opera and browse the web (albeit through that wideweb.net proxy). If 3 do keep this up and stop with that rubbish only-browse-these-sites crap then excellent, that keeps most people happy as they can browse the web as translated for mobiles, which includes downloading software and using those subscription WAP services. This could of course be a testing phase before they roll out other handsets like the N73 which has that Yahoo Go! thing who knows. So far though, this is quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

yes but 3 dont charge you for wap at all so I can't see them doing this (dont want them to start charging either)

hope its still there by tomorrow morning (next time ill have a 3G signal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I wouldn't mind paying a fixed amount a month for all you can eat web acess like tmobile uks web n walk...... but yes this is a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

It seems to be working on my phone. I checked out gmail. Sometimes i tether my phone to my computer and use their mobile sites feature through my browser. I wonder would I get access to all my sites then. hmmmmm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

working for me, was even able to download gmail.com/app :)
    I really hope this is a new feature, if they kept the current pricing layout I'd be very very happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If this is true, perhaps I can switch to 3 (I'd have to keep a phone with Vodafone for roaming, though). Does anyone know if they are still blocking access to other ports? For example, I'd want to be able to use SSH and POP mail from my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

does 3 provide webtext at all? maybe we can port AFT to that then too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

donutface wrote:
    does 3 provide webtext at all? maybe we can port AFT to that then too
    nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

How do you get into the other sites though

Open the web browser on the phone, try browsing any website, it will tell you that your trial has expired, follow the link on that page to select either the free trial or one of the paid access things. Then wait for the billing to go through (you get a text). When this happens, you are free to browse any site on the net. Go to Navigation Options > Go to Web Address (varies from phone to phone) and enter the address of the site you want.

If you have Opera Mobile installed, you can browse the web from that instead, when your time runs out or you exceed your bandwidth, you will get that expired page again.

As far as I know, this is basically the same service that O2, Vodafone and Meteor offer from their standard wap portal. Except that 3 are the only ones that force you to pay up front for the internet access where as the other 3 just bill you for what you use, this can make 3's service much cheaper.

What 3 dont do yet is an "ISP" service, an access point that provides raw open internet access which would let you use POP3, IMAP, SSH and other internet services from your phone. This is what i would find very handy as I could the Nokia Email Client to access my Gmail on the move as well as being able to SSH into remote servers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Can anyone tell me how to get opera mini onto my SE k800i and actually use it.I downloaded the file from the opera site and sent it by bluetooth to my phone.When I launched it I got a message saying that I had no network connection,thanks in advance.

it worked perfect for me today on my v3x couldnt believe it
    i tried gmail bebo enn boards.ie revo-europe and even wikipedia
    i also tried to download msn messenger but the next page that came up said something about it being to big to realistically open
    see for yourself go to www.msn.com and try and download messenger
    i think it thought i was using a computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

aaronm13 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me how to get opera mini onto my SE k800i and actually use it.I downloaded the file from the opera site and sent it by bluetooth to my phone.When I launched it I got a message saying that I had no network connection,thanks in advance.

I'd like to know this too as i'm getting the same error message when trying to open opera on the V3X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

mickger wrote:
    I'd like to know this too as i'm getting the same error message when trying to open opera on the V3X.

So am I along with the gmail java app

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

tcob1 wrote:
    So am I along with the gmail java app

Gmail java app works for me but not opera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

mickger wrote:
    Gmail java app works for me but not opera.

Will try it tomorrow when I am again in 3g

Join Ireland Weather Network

were can i download this gmail app? i was just going to www.gmail.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1huge1 wrote:
    were can i download this gmail app? i was just going to www.gmail.com

gmail.com/app is the address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it seems to be gone here :( back to "external site, hahahahahahahaha we're sh*t" when i try to access anything outside the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The walls back up? It was almost looking promising there for a while!

• Advertisement

No!!!!!

Im seriously starting to think they read this forum

They do.. I have told them several times about this site.. in the hope they would spot the annoyances we express about their network. But even if they didnt read the board, it wouldnt have taken them long to find that the wall was down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well if this had stayed down a little longer 3 would of had an extra customer.

Advertisement