Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on new car

Options
  • 10-11-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi all, i will have a budget in jan of 31500 max to spend on a new company car, it has to be diesel and have good resale value after 2 years so that rules out fiat and skoda and so on, i was thinking about the avensis or the mazda 6 till i seen the price 34325 what a rip off for a car that has been around the block, i know it has 145bhp but still..??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avensis D-4D 125 Aura is €31,235 with metallic, so money left over for sweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

You should be able to get a Mazda 6, with that money. You'll just have to be a crafty bugger to do so.

Go in, see what "extras" they'll throw in fro the sticker price. Squeeze as hard as you like, pointing out you're paying "cash".

When the price is agreed, tell them you've got the €31,500, there is no more, it's a company car. They'll bite. It's approx an 8.5% discount - easily manageable on a cash customer. They'll start dragging back the extras, but that will be difficult for them (so ask for extras you can live without)

M.

Ususally with company cars they give you a budget of X amount, which is a guide and doesn't include fleet discounts and general discounts. the amount you could work the salesman down to is irelevant, as the car is likely to be leased with a buyback at the end of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Ususally with company cars they give you a budget of X amount, which is a guide and doesn't include fleet discounts and general discounts. the amount you could work the salesman down to is irelevant, as the car is likely to be leased with a buyback at the end of the term.

correct, any discount will go straight back to the lease company in this case lease plan. the only thing i can is get a couple of extras on the side if i persuade lease plan to buy local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Squeeze as hard as you like, pointing out you're paying "cash".

Don't dealers make money on finance agreements, that and when I was looking for my current car I was informed that I could get a better deal if I took out one of their finance agreements.

• Advertisement

in this case, the dealer won't make any money on the finance. as a company would normally have a finance rep that they would deal with directly. The dealer just invoices the finance company for the amount, and doesn't get the customer to sign docs.

The dealer will only make money if they act as an intermediary between you and the bank. they will buy in the credit at a certain rate, and sell it out at a higher rate. the bit in between is their commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is an all new Mazda 6 available from mid to late 2007 so this will impact resale values of the current model and also in two years time.

The only disadvantage about the Avensis is that on your budget you can only get the 2.0 D4-D with the Aura spec which is pretty low on toys.

Another one to look at is the Skoda Superb, the 1.9 TDi Comfort comes in at just under €31k which is well equipped and allows to add a few extras. The only thing though is that depreciation may be a concern in 2 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If you do not want to go down the Avensis, Mondeo, Octavia, Superb route .. with 30 grand & looking for a brand new car ... you could have a look at the Volvo S40/V50 1.6 (less power) or Seat Leon 2.0TDI (less space). Both should have decent enough residuals and be a little more individual than their mass market competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

TomMc wrote:
    If you do not want to go down the Avensis, Mondeo, Octavia, Superb route .. with 30 grand & looking for a brand new car ... you could have a look at the Volvo S40/V50 1.6 (less power) or Seat Leon 2.0TDI (less space). Both should have decent enough residuals and be a little more individual than their mass market competitors.

just had a look at the volvo and it looks really nice, i think it has the same 1.6tdci engine in my focus and tbh it ain't bad, as i said i cant go for skoda seat or any make that will depreciate quickly. any news on the new mondeo, and what do ye think of the passat imo its way under powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

pm. wrote:
    just had a look at the volvo and it looks really nice, i think it has the same 1.6tdci engine in my focus and tbh it ain't bad, as i said i cant go for skoda seat or any make that will depreciate quickly. any news on the new mondeo, and what do ye think of the passat imo its way under powered.

The diesel passats are far from underpowered, Super diesel engines, Especially the 130BHP 1.9. But the 110BHP model has plenty and plenty of poke in it..

Hj

• Advertisement

HungryJoey wrote:
    The diesel passats are far from underpowered, Super diesel engines, Especially the 130BHP 1.9. But the 110BHP model has plenty and plenty of poke in it..

Hj

The OP is buying new. The Passat only comes in two diesel engines now, the 1.9 litre 105bhp TDi and 2.0 litre 140bhp TDi.

The OP has a budget of €31,500 max so the superiour 2.0 TDi in the Passat is more expensive than that. The 1.9 TDi is a good unit but these days it is showing it's age. Diesel technology has moved on.

Regarding the new Mondeo, this is due early in the new year but Ford will pre register lots of them at launch and them offer them with big discounts after about 2 or 3 months, so after two years there will be lots of them on the used market and like previous Mondeo models depreciation will be severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

pm. wrote:
    Yes, Volvo part of the Ford family now. I'd prefer the V50 to the S40 as it is more versatile and should also have slightly better residuals. The 1.6D although having less power than it's rivals, is better than it's figures would suggest. If you are in Westmeath ... I can recommend HB Dennis at Airside, Swords ... not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

TomMc wrote:
    Yes, Volvo part of the Ford family now. I'd prefer the V50 to the S40 as it is more versatile and should also have slightly better residuals. The 1.6D although having less power than it's rivals, is better than it's figures would suggest. If you are in Westmeath ... I can recommend HB Dennis at Airside, Swords ... not too far away.

Casey's have a big new Volvo/Land Rover showroom in Athlone, so probably much closer for a test drive!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

TomMc wrote:

the new volvo s40 drops in value like a stone, i had a 2.0D new 06 . nice and fast but looses lots of value and hard to sell on.

not that big inside either, 2yr warranty, not sure how reliable they are...
    a few people that i know have sold them after year 1

not that many volvo dealers too..... and about 270 euro for its first 20,000 km service.

2.0D powered by psa engine, they are not like old volvos used to be, dont seem to be sought after second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I wouldn't go for the S40 with the 1.6 turob diesel. It's an excellent engine for sure, but the S40 is a tiny bit too big for it. Also, Volvo's don't tend to keep their value too well in this country. Skoda Superb wouldn't be a great choice. Plenty of extras, but poor resale, and based on the old passat, it's dynamically inferior now to the competition. The Mazda 3 with that 1.6 engine is a peach. Nice handling, and in my opinion, better looking than the 6. Also is holding its value very well. (It's in the class below what you're after though, same class as the octavia, but probably in some ways a better car).
    The new passat is dynamically far superior to the old model, but you are only getting the 105bhp 1.9 for your budget. Still, worth a test drive and decide for yourself. You could go for the cream of the lower class crop and pick the new civic with the 2.2 diesel, by far and away the most refined diesel on the market. Classey car too, with reliability and resalability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Its only the 5dr hatch in the Mazda 6 that blows your budget. Go for the 4dr and you can get a 2.0 diesel executive spec for just €95 over your budget.
    As one already said there is a new Mazda6 due in '07 though.

Dunno why you rule out the Octavia...AFAIK the resale on the diesels are holding well. You would easily get a 2.0TDi 140bhp Elegance spec Octavia for €2k short of your budget, I would imagine.

What about the Focus diesel?

Biro wrote:
    You could go for the cream of the lower class crop and pick the new civic with the 2.2 diesel, by far and away the most refined diesel on the market. Classey car too, with reliability and resalability.

Honda have no intention of offering the Civic with the 2.2 diesel engine in Ireland. There simply is no demand for a car that size with a diesel engine that big here. That and 30% VRT, it just doesn't make financial sense to even offer it as a special order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

OP: Do you have to buy new? i.e. will your company give you the money and you go off and buy the car yourself or it is all through a leasing company/dealership designated by your company?

If you’re looking for low deprecation, then buying new is not the way to go.

You could (if allowed by your company) buy a 2 or 3 year old BMW/Audi/Merc in the UK and re-register it as a company car in Ireland. That way big deprecation is done, you get a good car that will hold its value well.

If your company is paying the road tax, then maybe up the engine size BMW 330d Audi a4 2.5TDI. But better resale on the smaller engine sizes.

companies will very rarely buy in used cars.

Advertisement