Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD fiddled my browser!!!

Options
  • 10-11-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I've been trying to use Google Earth all week long in UCD, in Dublin, and now at home in Meath, but when I've tried to perform the server login for Google Earth I get "authentication error". I thought until tonight that this might be a problem with the 2 networks in Dublin, and that would be no major problem, but now I'm at home and the problem's persisted.
    I went into Internet Explorer to try and resolve the matter, just as Google Earth had instructed, only to discover that the only pages accessible through IE are UCD pages. Firefox is my default browser so I didn't notice this until now. I presume something has changed with a proxy or something but I'm not sure how this could have happened.
    The problem isn't limited solely to GE: MSN Messenger won't work either and no site I've tried outside UCD has worked (youtube, boards, hotmail)
    I'm probably missing some minor detail in my internet settings but if some bright spark in Comp Sci or the like could instruct me further it would be greatly appreciated!!!

By the way, here's the sort of crap I get when I try to get google.ie up in IE:
    ERROR
    The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.google.ie/

The following error was encountered:

Access Denied.
    Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

Generated Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:42:38 GMT by proxy8.ucd.ie (squid/2.5.STABLE6)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

upmeath wrote:
    Generated Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:42:38 GMT by proxy8.ucd.ie (squid/2.5.STABLE6)

Thats the inportant bit.

You are trying to go through the ucd proxy, which it will not let you do if you are not on the ucd network.

In firefox you need to check tools-> option -> in general tab select connections setting. then select direct connection to internet.

In IE its tools-> internet options -> connections tab , lan setting button. If it has selected to use a proxy server uncheck this. Automatically detect setting should work ok for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

themole wrote:
    Thats the inportant bit.
    In IE its tools-> internet options -> connections tab , lan setting button. If it has selected to use a proxy server uncheck this. Automatically detect setting should work ok for this.

I've unchecked the "use a proxy server" option, the fields there just read blank, it's http:// and 8484 but it's unchecked now so I doubt that's of any consequence.
    The field above, I have "automatically detect settings" and "use automatic configuration script" checked, with http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac as the address...
    and even after this, it still ain't working...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The same thing happened to me. I could have murdered IT. It was because they left a find local proxy settings box unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

if you're still telling it to use proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac then it's still trying to use the ucd proxy, which is useless outside the ucd network. you'll have to uncheck that box before anything'll work.

still not working, i've unchecked everything under LAN Settings, bar Automatically detect settings. I'm gonna have to go to Daedalus about this on Monday morning, aren't I? Bastards!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Uncheck EVERYTHING, it should do the trick. Normally with most people who use broadband at home they have to uncheck the Auto-detect button when they're at home, and then re-check when you get back into college.

Strangely though I always found that Firefox worked without needing to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

thats purely because firefox will try auto detect and then just go for any connection it can find *disappears*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Aaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh!

Something in the air. I can't access Gmail, GoogleTalk or MSN Messenger.
    Why must comp services fcuk with me so? Everything in LAN settings has been unchecked and rechecked and...nada! Gosh damn blast it. All was working fine on the old dial up in Wickla last night, but my broadband is having none of it...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you're posting here and can't get into gmail then the problem is not due to ucd I would think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

It's happened before and it was something to do with a comp services setting, it's not just gmail because it's the same with msn and hotmail and firefox isn't working at all.

Robin fixed it last time. *misses Robin* *figures Robin would be on msn if only she could sign in...gah!*

• Advertisement

well mine was fixed by unchecking everything in LAN settings, with the sole exception of automatic detection... reboot after you make the changes because they didn't come into play immediately for me. all's well once again, i have GE, i have IE and I have MSN Messenger!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've a proxy server at home to do some serious ad-busting, and I can leave "Automatically Detect Settings" on all the time.

If your home wifi router has a DHCP server (which most do), you should set the domain name on the router to something like example.xyz or something like that and it should resolve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

elmyra wrote:
    msn ... isn't working at all.

Try Web Messenger. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Or ebuddy.com which, although unofficial, is faster and has a few more features than the official Web Messenger (webmessenger.msn.com) does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

elmyra wrote:
    Robin fixed it last time. *misses Robin* *figures Robin would be on msn if only she could sign in...gah!*
    Nice to know someone misses me....

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I end up fixing a lot of problems with people setting the proxy settings in IE and then using firefox and going home and other programs depending on the IE settings getting messed up, like email and google earth... As far as I know firefox won't work on the UCD wireless without auto-detect or manual proxy settings in windows... I'm not sure because my laptop doesn't use windows, but the IT help pages for wireless are a bit strange. There's also weird holes in the firewall around the library that I notice, and sometimes in Theatre N.

Advertisement