Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying PS2 stuff in the States

• 10-11-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Had a quick look for an answer but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm getting the kids (ie me the biggest kid ;) ) a PS2 for christmas. Going to the States in a few days and wondering is anything worth getting.

1. Buying a console there are issues with power. Is it worth the hassle or would I be better getting it in Ireland with a proper warrenty etc?

2. Games. I asume they are region free? Are DVD's?

3. Plugins e.g. Itoy. Do they also need power or do they run off usb?

Thanks in advance

ding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. American PS2's run at 110V, 60Hz NTSC signal; Irish ones run 230V, 50Hz PAL signal -- totally different. If you want to play a US PS2 in Ireland, you need a step-up converter & a TV capable of playing 60Hz signals.
    2. No, PS2 games never were, are not & never will be region-free. Ditto for DVDs (get a stand-alone DVD player for movies IMO)
    3. Eyetoy - the camera itself should be alright (it's USB), as well as controllers & memory cards. But again -- games, NO
    Bottom line: don't buy a US PS2 unless you're willing to be reliant on import games; controllers are fine though.

Now, the PSP is totally region-free ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You need a step down convertor to run the PS2. Also the games aren't region free so if you want to play european games you need to get the Ps2 chipped or get a swap disc. Plugins like the eyetoy run off the usb so no problems there. Also the american PS2 outputs in 50hz NTSc while the Euro one in 60Hz PAL. If your TV doesn't support NTSC you will get a black and white image or even no picture. Most new TVs support NTSC but old or cheaper models won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks for the replies. I'll get it in Ireland so.

Advertisement