Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with landlord

Options
  • 11-11-2006 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

hi, when my father died my mother bought herself an apartment and signed the family home over to me and my 2 brothers, since she moved in she has had non- stop problems with the building owners , its so bad that i lose my temper with my mother when she says no after i ask her to sell up and move home. she is in the apartment nearly 2 years without hot water, a shower that doesnt work, a hole in the roof, leaking water pipes, and no fire escape.
    i would rather not say where it is or who the owners of the complex are but what i want to know is what she/me do about it.
    i have mentioned the problems constantly to the complex owners and told them i would get onto threshold but nothing has changed.
    so should i get in touch with threshold and what else can i do.

thanks,
    gar

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry- could you clarify, did your mother purchase herself an apartment- or is she renting. Its not clear from your posting.

If she is renting the apartment is has to be of reasonable habitable condition and it would be the job of the landlord to sort things like water etc. You could check with Threshold what exactly her rights are as a tenant. Note: If she purchased the apartment, and is not renting it, obviously she is not a tenant- but a leasehold owner, and is not entitled to complain to Threshold.

If she purchased the apartment it is not the duty of the Management Company to sort anything inside her apartment, other than to check that it is structurally sound. If there is remedial work necessary to maintain the structural integrity of the building- the Management Company can take action against the leasehold owner if they do not conduct any such work specified by them. You will find that the Management Company is responsible for works only to the external of the building.

Can you clarify what you mean by no fire-escape? - I am not sure what you mean here. I take it the bedrooms have windows that are capable of being fully opened, and the doors are operational? It would not be usual for an apartment to have an escape stairs- I can't recollect ever having seen one anywhere.

Re: hole in roof, problems with water pipes, no functional immersion heater etc- these all seem to be problems with the builder? Were these originally working and subsequently failed? Was your mother the original owner of the apartment- or a subsquent purchaser? Is the building less than 10 years of age (in which case it would be covered by Homebond)? Why did your mother agree to purchase the property in this condition 2 years ago- did she do a snag list with the seller- what happened to the snag list?

Advertisement