Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Invisible audio upgrade advice please.

Options
  • 11-11-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I'm neither an audiophile nor someone who wants residents of the next county over to be able to hear my car stereo. However, even my untrained ears can tell that the sound in my car is pure pony.

I have read elsewhere that the head unit and amp fitted to E46 BMs is actually quite good and the problem is the speakers. Possibly something to do with the fact BMW quite liked the idea of charging people a few hundred euro extra for an audio upgrade. I would like to replace some (at least the lower range speakers) or all of the speakers with the same only better if you get my meaning. Once all the covers and trims are back on it should look exactly as it used to.

So what I'm looking for is advice on what speakers to get, whether to fit them myself (not worried about stripping out old parts or soldering connections on new ones but if I have to start figuring out what resistors I need to put where, I'll need a bit of a lie down), or if not, who's good on the south/west side of Dublin when you want what I want, not to donate your boot to the cause?

All advice welcome, ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

This might be informative...

E46 Fanatics.com

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The headunit is definitely a weak link in an E46. The speakers aren't great by any means either.

E46 fanatics is a great site to check out - but bare in mind that all the American cars have a separate amplifer in the boot, which we don't have. (Unless you have the Harmon Kardon system)

I did a full Alpine install in my own, using the stock headunit - used a signal processor to create RCA outputs from the stock speaker cables and was then able to use a decent amplifer to power rear coaxials in the back, and a set of components up front. Sounds fantastic and looks completely stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Whats the standard headunit?And whats your budget?

There's endless amounts of speakers available,If you invest in a good pair they'l last a lifetime.Fitting is straightforward once you get the correct size speaker for the car.

Best possible sound will be achieved by bypassing the headunit altogether and using a seperate amp but if your really not fussy you can go without one

Advertisement