Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody use snow/winter tyres ?

Options
  • 11-11-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious ...

Back from whence I came, it was the annual ritual. Come Oct/Nov off with the alloys and the fat summer tyres, on go the steel rims and the skinny snow tyres.

Anybody on these shores use winter tyres at all?

Doesn't really make sense here, though. The annual 0.3 days of snow coverage hardly justify the expense. The tyre industry would have us believe though that winter compounds are superior to summer tyres in colder temperatures (below 7 degrees) and then there is the the frequent morning frost and/or black ice to consider ...

Personally, I couldn't be bothered ...

I do take care though, to replace tyres nearing the end of their useful life BEFORE winter rather than after it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope! Summer tyres all year naturally. As you say they're not needed for the sake of a couple of cold snowy days a year.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

An acquaintance of mine who is in the Japanese vehicle import business, tells me that most of the 4x4s that come in from Japan have an extra set of wheels with snow tyres fitted thrown inside. (May to be a legal requirement there?) These are subsequently removed en route before they reach the unsuspecting Irish buyer and presumably flogged (sometimes with winches ect. also).

Advertisement