Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bmw Gs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I care about value for money, although the decision didn't feature strongly when I bought my GS. I bought the GS, because it was the bike I had always wanted. Every other bike had lasted me a year or two max, before I was itching for something different. I'm glad to report that I have the bike almost two years now, and I'm going to stick with it for some time to come (the other half is delighted, but the bank manager isn't quite as happy).

In terms of value for money, when I purchased the GS, it was the bike for holding its value. Few other bikes came close (Pans, FJRs etc), and having been stung a couple of times before, this was something that also helped with the decision making process. I have no doubt that the situation is different now, as there are so many of them out there, but it's less important cos I'm happy with it..

I was going to add something about the monopolistic nature of the single Triumph dealer in this country, but to be honest, with the BMW dealerships, it isn't that different.

One last point: The GS has usually got pride of place when we talk about expensive bikes. But did you know:
    1) It's only 2 grand more expensive than a VFR800?
    2) 3 Grand cheaper than a Ducati 999?
    3) The same price as a Monster S4 RS?
    4) 700 quid more expensive than a CBR1000?
    5) 500 quid cheaper than an SP2?
    5) 5 Grand cheaper than a Pan Euro?
    6) 500 quid more than a ZX10?
    7) 500 quid more than a Yamaha R1?
    8) 100 quid less than a zzr1400?

(Prices based on rec. retail - and yes, we all know where we can get better prices, but this is true of the bmw too).

Ride to live, don't ride to save. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am glad you still like the GS. I will hopefully get mine in March. In the meantime I am enjoying my ZZR600, it is a lot of fun.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I care about value for money, although the decision didn't feature strongly when I bought my GS. I bought the GS, because it was the bike I had always wanted. Every other bike had lasted me a year or two max, before I was itching for something different. I'm glad to report that I have the bike almost two years now, and I'm going to stick with it for some time to come (the other half is delighted, but the bank manager isn't quite as happy).

In terms of value for money, when I purchased the GS, it was the bike for holding its value. Few other bikes came close (Pans, FJRs etc), and having been stung a couple of times before, this was something that also helped with the decision making process. I have no doubt that the situation is different now, as there are so many of them out there, but it's less important cos I'm happy with it..

I was going to add something about the monopolistic nature of the single Triumph dealer in this country, but to be honest, with the BMW dealerships, it isn't that different.

One last point: The GS has usually got pride of place when we talk about expensive bikes. But did you know:
    1) It's only 2 grand more expensive than a VFR800?
    And to be fair, the Varadero, of similar ilk, is pretty over-priced too. Generally I've found the Hondas and the BMWs to be much dearer than equivalent style or specced bikes - with the Hondas you are getting a lot of reputation (which is arguably deserved). With the BMW, it seems a little mixed... I spent some time on BMW forums before making up my mind and it seems to be split between people who get bullet-proof models and people who get lemons. In the end, I still was really tempted but the gap in price seemed too extreme to swallow I thought. But you are right about a GS holding it's value - I expect your bike will hold value a hell of a lot better than mine over the next few years but then again if both of us are happy with them, this issue kind of becomes slightly irrelevant as neither of us is likely to sell on... ?

Bottom line though, buy the bike you like to sit on! It's the driving experience that always counts in the end. **** the expense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

To be honest, I think the vast majority of big bore bikes hold their value equally well (probably true for smaller bikes too, but I haven't shopped for one in a long time) when it comes to private sale, for bikes of comparable condition.
    However, it's a vastly different situation if you're trading it in. The only reason I have a problem with BMW holding their value the way they don't is that the dealers go out of their way to make a point of telling you that they do. Go back for a trade-in, though, and it's a quick trip down Cattleprod Lane for the customer.
    In my own experience, I went to trade in my 1150GS and was offered the princely sum of €3800. I sold it privately for just under €8500, when similar models were selling for around €10k from the dealers. Now, you can bang on about shop guarantees etc, but seriously. That's a very big difference. And, personally, I think the buyer got a bargain. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Now you're talking about something different though.. For the most part, the trade-in prices offered by dealers in this country are laughable, but as you pointed out, the resale price is still high. I reckon it's another symptom of Celtic-tiger'ism. People aren't willing to go the extra mile to sell their own vehicles. They'd rather hand over the keys and take the hit. I still think there's a market for someone to give your bike a spit-shine and sell it for you on commission basis (a bike-agent?!).

Is there any such thing as a good trade-in deal? I don't think so. If the dealer is willing to give you a good price for your bike, you can be sure they're still making money on it somehow, or they have some other reason to shift the bike you're buying. Maybe they're giving you the bike someone else ordered, but which didn't arrive up to spec. They're not in the business of loss-leaders.

/Pessimist-Krusty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

I havent rode a bike in 20 years then last summer bought a 02 dt 125 found it great crack so went and bought the first thing I saw a ZXR 600, didint like it at all apart from the looks so next a CBR 600, same again nice looks and a little nicer and quicker but still didint like it then spotted a 99 r1150gs in yellow with a full rack on done deal 4,600 euro all the mates said yer f**king mad but like the big kid saw myself doing the long way down the M50 and what a bike Im hooked its a real dinger, a real dinger did I already say that Im so happy :):):):):P

Advertisement