Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission -changes

Options
  • 11-11-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I think I understand that an extention of 40sqm or less can be built at the rear of a house without planning permission, what I'll like to know is if this 'extention' can be built at the same time as the original house?

Basically, we are in the process of building our house and I want to make 2 of the rooms about a meter wider (to the rear of the house). It would effectively be an increase of only 10sqm. I really don't want to have to reapply to the planning office and, so much so, I think I would put up with the plan as it is rather than contact them.

Do any of you know what the policy is on this? or have any advice please?

Comments

You could probably "get away" with a minor deviation without any problems as long as you do not bend any of the planning conditions.

The conditions usualy state " the building will be constructed STRICTLY to the plans as submitted", It may allow for small variations ;)
    They probably wouldn't notice such a small change, depends on the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

mrs aol wrote:
    I think I understand that an extention of 40sqm or less can be built at the rear of a house without planning permission, what I'll like to know is if this 'extention' can be built at the same time as the original house?

Basically, we are in the process of building our house and I want to make 2 of the rooms about a meter wider (to the rear of the house). It would effectively be an increase of only 10sqm. I really don't want to have to reapply to the planning office and, so much so, I think I would put up with the plan as it is rather than contact them.

For what it's worth, when we built, our original plans showed an integral garage, we "converted" this from day one as a playroom and were advised by our engineer that this could be done under the regulations which state that you can extend or convert up to 40sqM without the need for planning. As a layperson I would expect (but don't take my word for it ;)) that you could do likewise....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the strict definition of an extension means that the house must be build then added to after completion. After compliance with planninf docs are signed.
    But in reality you could get away with this nearly all the time. Nobody would notice, and if they did you can put it down to builder error and apply for retention.
    But thats only if some eagle-eyed B*$t@rd notices and kicks up the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Just check with your engineer first, thats all we did. If he/she is happy to sign off on it, I'd say chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mrs aol wrote:
    what I'll like to know is if this 'extention' can be built at the same time as the original house?
    No, no and no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor wrote:
    I think the strict definition of an extension means that the house must be build then added to after completion
    Thats the situation alright.

There are too many other factors nowadays to chance it so I would advise doing it right from the outset

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

mrs aol wrote:

Minor / small deviations allowed...But the Council's interpretation of "small" may be different from yours.
    Example: In process of extention build, Obliged to get planning permission, not because of extention size but because of size of remaining site (otherwise would have probably built it myself...given enough time). Anyway just before build start, I had option of changing from flat to pitch roof. Was advised I'd have to re-submit plans,either new plans or modified plans( both of these options are regarded as the same by Council...almost) and risk objections to permission that had missed the oportunity first time round.
    Do as I did ..Ring the council ans ask to speak to "a Planner". Ask your questions, you'll be told there and then. Those at D.C.C. very helpful, I found.
    t

Advertisement