Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have some up to date guides on how to build a computer step by step??

Options
  • 11-11-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

although i do know how to put one together i just dont want to make any mistakes and want to know that i did everything by the book..espcially the installing the processor part..i dont want to get that wrong with a E6600..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There are a million and one guides out there. I'd suggest googling some key words and try to find a site that gives good pictorial guides and detailed descriptions.

Here are a couple:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2002/09/04/building_your_own_pc/ (a little out of date, but the principles are the same)

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1444&page=4

If you are unsure about anything ask for help. Remember: it's just like lego; if it's not meant to fit then it wont. Other then the RAM, I've found that the components, CPU included, fit in without much forcing involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah i searched yesterday but only found out dated ones..including that toms hardware one..but that pcstats one i think is just what i was looking for..thanks man..well when i get down to building this..dont worry ill be very active posting what ever problems i have during the building..cause i know there will be a good few :D

edit: im reading here that intel processors come with heatsinks thermal paste already aplyed is this true..becauser this is that part im most un sure about doing..

I've only ever used AMD CPUs - they come with the paste applied to the heatsink. I can only assume that, yes, Intel chips are the same. Don't worry about it - just remove the plastic cover on the bottom of the heatsink after you have mounted the chip and then place it over the chip. The paste on the bottom of the heatsink and chip will line up perfectly.

hopefully it will yeah..thats the main bit im worryed about..ive heard they can get broke preety easliy and applying the thermal paste was my biggest worry because i wasnt sure how to apply it and that i could think everything is gooing good for about an hour after switiching the pc on and then hear a bang from my processor :(

..but as ya said they have it on the bottom of the heatsink so it hopefuly wont be a problem..im getting a core 2 duo so if anyone has installed there own could ya tell me if it has the paste already on the heatsink ??

Don't worry, it will come with thermal paste and the stock fan will be sufficient for cooling (I'm assuming you are not going to be over-clocking). Save your fretting for the real problems ;)

• Advertisement

thats good ta hear..haha no i dont think ill be overclocking her.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

IgsTer wrote:
    ...i could think everything is gooing good for about an hour after switiching the pc on and then hear a bang from my processor
    CPUs are not explosive! :D
    Modern PCs have prtoection for CPU overheating anyway - it would switch off before getting to dangerous temperatures.

haha..aw right..thanks for that..that settled me nerves down.. :D

Advertisement