Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband package-cheap, fast and unlimited d/l

Options
  • 11-11-2006 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I basically want to know a decent broadband package that has unlimited downloads and a good rate.

I see eircom have somthing like 2gb or whatever. Ive heard people tell me they were a rip off and there are better ones out there

Im in th dundalk area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Depends on whether or you can put up with changing your phone number.

All the eircom resellers are reselling the same package.

Smart's offering is generally recognised as the best - no limits, 3-6Mb speed, €11 + line rental (total €35 per month), but you usually need to change your number.

The only problem is that there is no way to check in advance if your phone line is good enough for the higher speeds - this applies to all providers because of our backward infrastructure.

Others that seem to be worth considering are Digiweb, Magnet and Chorus, but you'll need to get opinions and feedback from users of those to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rotl

Ok cheers.

I dont think changing the number would be an option.

Can you get unlimited downloads with eircom?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if your able to get it, BT Business broadband, from my own experience its the only truely unlimited service besides Smart and you don't need to change your number.

However you may have to give them a deposit if your a home user as they can be strict about giving it to home users, depents what support rep you talk to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

UTV internet is unlimited if you pay €5.99 extra per month. And that is on top of a cheap package. Expect to pay €29 per month for 2Mb unlimited broadband. Fair usage applies which means you can't do the devil on it during peak hours, but I haven't heard of anyone being done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

If im right, eircom dont charge for going over the cap... dunno if thats still the case though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

As Meat Loaf says, two out of three ain't bad. You'll be hard pushed to get all of those...

Decent + Cheap = Capped. No free lunch
    Cheap + No Cap = usually poor service, high contention etc.
    Decent (=low contention, reliable, fast) + No Cap = expensive, less available everywhere.

How much do you really need to download. Also many services with allegedly no cap have "fair use" T&C.

24x7 unthrottled torrents is not "Fair Use".

Advertisement