Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a wireless network using Irish Broadband

Options
  • 11-11-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I have Irish Broadband Breeze 3MB. I know from a thread over on budget alerts that the ADSL routers aren't really set up to work with it (although perhaps they can be set up to). Are there any routers out there specifically for wireless broadband - they all seem to be ADSL or cable. I asked in Harvey Norman and was told that there aren't any. I don't really believe that because Irish Broadband sell on themselves but you have to sign up to their talk package to get it and it costs €139 then. I'm considering this its a netgear WRG613V. They claim that I can't just buy one of those - they have theirs customised to work for them.

Any ideas? I'm going to try a mates ADSL wireless router to see if I can get it to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

walshki wrote:
    they all seem to be ADSL or cable.
    An ADSL router has a built in ADSL "modem". All other routers that you can buy have an ethernet interface, instead of an ADSL port, and can be used with any kind of broadband - wireless, cable or DSL. They are sometimes described as "broadband routers", but they don't usually refer to wireless broadband, because most developed countries don't have a very big market for wireless broadband.

Basically any router that isn't specifically an ADSL router can be used with your wireless broadband.

The WRG613V will work as a router on your connection, but I can't make any recommendations on how suitable your connect will be for VoIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends on your pings to the VOIP provider. If they are steady and less than 50ms and packet loss is less than 2% then you should be able to do VOIP

The DLInk DVG-G1402S is a WAN router/WiFi/VOIP sip with up to 2 phone "lines" (VOIP numbers) and 4 port ethernet switch. It should work too.

Anything with a WAN ethernet port will work (Instead of ADSL port). Most good brands have internal ADSL port OR ethernet WAN port versions of the similar model. See Komplett

Even ADSL modem/routers can be switched to Bridge mode and used with the same router as will work for a Cable or Wireless Modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

watty wrote:
    Even ADSL modem/routers can be switched to Bridge mode and used with the same router as will work for a Cable or Wireless Modem.
    That statement is a bit ambiguous. An ADSL modem/router can be used with any "broadband router" by putting it into bridged mode. But you can't put an "ADSL router" into bridged mode and use it as a router for a wireless broadband connection

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Correct!
    Thanks for making it clearer for our readers.

: )

Of course there may be some ADSL routers that don't have a bridge mode either.

If I had DSL and no WiFi, I'd buy the ethernet WAN type router WiFi instead of a dedicated dsl model and then be able to change over to different service easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Thanks lads,

At least now I know what to look out for. I'll see about the VOIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement