Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Championship Thread (will contain scores)

• 11-11-2006 4:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think we need a thread where people can post about Championship games all in the one thread.

Here is todays half time scores:

Birmingham City 1-0 Barnsley

Cardiff City 1-0 Burnley

Coventry City 1-1 Derby County

Crystal Palace 0-1 Stoke City

Hull City 1-0 Wolves

Ipswich Town 0-1 Sheffield Wed

Leeds United 1-0 Colchester Utd

Leicester City 1-1 Plymouth Arg

Luton Town 1-1 QPR

Southend Utd 0-0 Preston NE

Sunderland 0-0 Southampton

West Brom Alb 0-0 Norwich City

Leeds have had a good first half. COlchester have had very few chances if any and Leeds have had all the possesion. Robbie Blake scored a great goal as he picked the ball up on the half way line and carried it to the edge of the box and smashed it in off the post. He has really being playing well lately. New boy Heath looks solid and Foxe is playing well at right back. More of the same in the second half please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Who is more likely to get their team promoted this year? Roy or Mick? I don't know enough about the championship to guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Waster wrote:
    Who is more likely to get their team promoted this year? Roy or Mick? I don't know enough about the championship to guess.

Definitely Mick. Sunderland dont have a hope unless something very substantial changes up there.

Leeds 3-0 up now! Cresswell and Blake again have got the others. I have forgotten what this feels like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Crystal Palace supporter..
    Kingp35 wrote:

Crystal Palace 0-1 Stoke City

Taylor OUT!
    well, not really but com'on man, get it together and get in some quality CB's and a pacy striker. We lost Boyce and Hall to Wigan and Popivic to some Quatar team or whatever and our defence is gone to ****. And of course AJ to Everton :(

Mick.
    I think we need a thread where people can post about Championship games all in the one thread.
    Hopefully it will get added to the Frequently Clicked Links sticky :)
    Any chance you'll consider changing the title of the thread to The Championship Thread (will contain champ talk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what odds on a Sunderland Wolves playoff final i wonder?

Wouldnt write off sunderland jusy yet, they have money to spend in january which could make a big difference. Could easily see both teams in the top 6 at the end of the season, but could easily see about another 8 teams potentially up there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nice idea.

Saints currently scoreless away to Sunderland, first time we've met Roy Keane since he waved us goodbye a couple of years back.

Last minute winner would be nice lads.

• Advertisement

^ Scrap that, 1-0. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Luton 2-3 QPR. Both of these lads cant defend for ****. QPR have been great entertainment since john Gregory arrived, never thought i'd be saying that.

Wolves away is terrible, if they dont fix that they wont get near the playoffs. Losing to hull, says it all. I cant see either team making the playoffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Final score Leeds 3-0 Colchester

That is a great win because it will give the team some much needed confidence and the clean sheet will help with that as well. there was clearly a huge difference in the side after Wise and Gus had the team for a full weeks training. I can actually enjoy my Saturday now for a change :D

YESSSS!

Bale you friggin hero! Last minute against St. Roy! Love it!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I agree King, it's good to have something to smile about on a Saturday evening for a change. Sounded like we made hard work of it in the second half though, so there's still plenty of work to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

We were lucky against the baggies. They hit the woodwork 6 times but Peter Grants influence on the players is paying off for us. Normally we would have rolled up and died at the onslaught but Dion Dublin has been magnificent playing for us in defence in the last 2 games. I think Doherty will be gone in January, Reto Ziegler will be coming in on loan next week and along with Carlton Cole hopefully.

Big game next week against that other lot down the A140. But a bloody 11:30am kick off isn't what we wanted. I think we're the only derby which the police demand an early kick off on a Sunday. Nothing like going away to Portaloo Road and being greeted by a swarm of riot vans and police at Ipswich train station. Should be fun and 3 points for us.

Todays Championship fixtres are as follows:

Barnsley -v- Ipswich Town 3.00
    Burnley -v- Birmingham City 3.00
    Colchester U -v- Southend United 3.00
    Derby County -v- Leicester City 3.00
    Norwich City -v- Hull City 3.00
    Plymouth Arg -v- Leeds United 3.00
    Preston NE -v- Crystal Palace 3.00
    QPR -v- Coventry City 3.00
    Sheffield Wed -v- Cardiff City 3.00
    Southampton -v- Luton Town 3.00
    Stoke City -v- West Bromwich A 3.00

A very tough game for Leeds as Plymouth are flying high at the moment and are full of confidence. Leeds did win 3-0 in this fixture last season but alot has changed since then. Ugo Ehiogu and Tresor Kandol should make their debuts and it will be interesting to see how they get on. I would love for us to keep a clean sheet. Heres hoping.

1-0 to Leeds. Robbie Blake :D

1-0 to Saints too. Chris Baird of all people :D

2-0, Grzegorz! Back on top of the scorers chart!

1-1 Leeds now.

Half time in Leeds game. 1-1

Leeds were totally on to and should have been two up but since Plymouth have scored, Leeds have been all over the place. Need to settle things down and Wise has to sort it out at half time.

The equaliser came from a mistake by Greame Stack. He is not good enough to be playing for Leeds.

2-1 to Leeds! Eddie Lewis :D

Norwich 1 up. Glad I didn't go to the game. Sounds like an awful game. Earnshaw the goalscorer.

Kick it off
    Throw it in............:D

Leeds win 2-1 :D

Great result and out of the bottom three. Very good performance.

I watched the Norwich match against ipswich Kensutz. You lot were muck, didnt really to turn up to the match. Ipswich werent the may west either.

Stoke city look the suprise team this year.

• Advertisement

Yes we were muck to say the least. We just didn't get going at all and same can be said for todays game. Heading over for Tuesdays game and don't know what to expect. One day we can beat any team in the league the next we're relegation candidates. If you look at the stats, we're the 3rd best team to play against teams in the top half of the table and 2nd worst for playing against bottom half teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

In a state of shock really looking at the championship table. Stoke in the top six :) bring on cardiff on tuesday night

Anyone else hear about Coventry? :D
    For Coventry City a victory achieved and just about merited, through a characteristically muscular surge and purposeful shot by Dele Adebola. This was not exactly against the run of play, because QPR, the gifted Lee Cook apart, simply were not sufficiently creative. They conceded the winning goal almost immediately after half time and did not impose themselves thereafter. What was more, Coventry were non-plussed by being forced as a result of heavy traffic, to complete their journey to Loftus Road by tube from Hanger Lane. They arrived 40 minutes before kick-off.

"The fans we travelled with couldn’t believe it,” said Coventry manager Mickey Adams. ”It just shows all that talk about pre-match preparation is nonsense.”

“We bought 23 single tickets at Hanger Lane station. We took a bit of stick from West Ham and Fulham fans, but our unsung hero was Jay Tabb. He knew we had to change at Hammersmith and then go to Shepherd’s Bush.”

Tabb, a former Brentford player, was rewarded with being left out of the side.

Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Barnsley v Southend, 19:45
    Burnley v Leeds, 19:45
    Colchester v Hull, 19:45
    Norwich v Leicester, 19:45
    Plymouth v Luton, 19:45
    Preston v Coventry, 19:45
    QPR v Sunderland, 20:00
    Sheff Wed v West Brom, 19:45
    Stoke v Cardiff, 19:45
    Wolverhampton v Crystal Palace, 19:45

Wednesday, 29 November 2006

Derby v Ipswich, 19:45
    Southampton v Birmingham, 19:45

Biggest Saints game in years, so much could happen this season, and if we win it'll be a MASSIVE boost to our promotion campaign.

COYR!

Barnsley v Southend, 19:45
    Home
    Burnley v Leeds, 19:45
    Away
    Colchester v Hull, 19:45
    home
    Norwich v Leicester, 19:45
    home
    Plymouth v Luton, 19:45
    Draw
    Preston v Coventry, 19:45
    Home
    QPR v Sunderland, 20:00
    Draw
    Sheff Wed v West Brom, 19:45
    Draw
    Stoke v Cardiff, 19:45
    Home
    Wolverhampton v Crystal Palace, 19:45----Draw

Tough match for Leeds. Ehiogu makes his debut for Leeds tonight in replace of Kilgallon who is not even included in the squad. Other than that the side is unchanged.

Leeds havent put together back to back wins all season so it will be very tough.

I hear Leeds have ex-Shels and Bohs player Avery John on trial...?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I hear Leeds have ex-Shels and Bohs player Avery John on trial...?

Yeah we certainly do. He is on a weeks trial.

Leeds down to ten men. Hayden Foxe sent off, got a second yellow for deliberate handball. Will be backs against the wall for rest pf match. :(

• Advertisement

FT Barnsley 2 - 0 Southend U.
    FT Burnley 2 - 1 Leeds U.
    FT Colchester U. 5 - 1 Hull C.
    FT Norwich C. 3 - 1 Leicester C.
    FT Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Luton T.
    FT Preston North End 1 - 1 Coventry C.
    FT Sheffield W. 3 - 1 West Bromwich A.
    FT Stoke C. 3 - 0 Cardiff C.
    FT Wolverhampton W. 1 - 1 Crystal Palace
    FT Queens Park R. 1 - 2 Sunderland

Great wins for Norwich, Colchester and Stoke!

Great win for Stoke , really enjoyed beating old rivals cardiff, 5 wins in a row , 5 Clean Sheets in a row - dreamland really,possibly only spoilt by lee hendries antics in the McPhail red card incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Despite Leeds losing 2-1 im still pretty optimistic because we more than matched high flying Burnley until Foxe got sent off for a stupid handball. Before Wise came in the heads would have dropped after conceding two goals in two minutes and we would have lost 4 or 5 nil. This time though we battled on and got a goal back through Healy and could have nicked an equaliser.

Other results went our way as well with all our relegation rivals except Barnsley losing.

Speaking of Barnsley, Leeds play them in Elland Road on Saturday at midday which is without doubt our biggest game since the playoff final. Its a Yorkshire derby and means so much in the battle at the bottom of the league. Should be a great match because neither side can defend!

Very good win for us after the slight set back against Hull on Saturday. Still a very good record at home and if we can rectify our travel problems we'll be close contenders for a playoff spot. Sunderland away is going to be a tough game although I'm looking forward to it and a trip there myself sitting in the home end. :D

Saints survive a scare in a 4-3 thriller in their biggest game since the Premiership and move into closer to the playoff spots, promotion is definitely within our grasp this season. We just need the consistency now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Does this remind anyone of a certain Bowyer / Dyer incident which led to two red cards, hefty fines, suspensions and criminal proceedings?
    Southampton boss George Burley admitted he had to read the riot act to defender Chris Baird and keeper Kelvin Davis after Saints' win over Birmingham.

Baird and Davis came to blows and had to be pulled apart by team-mates after the Blues had made the score 4-3.

They escaped punishment from referee Iain Williamson but Burley said: "I had to have strong words with them.

"I have always prided myself on my teams being disciplined and this will never happen again."

The pair were at each other's throats after Baird deflected Radhi Jaidi's header past Davis to set up a frantic finish to an amazing game.

After the pair were pulled apart by team-mates referee Williamson had a long conversation with one of his assistants before deciding not to take action.

Burley added: "it was a strange game, one where character and emotions eventually took over.

"At 4-3, there were one or two players panicking, but we've cleared the air now, and they're the best of friends."

The Saints boss would not admit whether he is going to impose internal club punishments on the pair.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/6158779.stm

Saturday, 02 December 2006

Birmingham v Plymouth, 15:00
    Cardiff v Colchester, 15:00
    Coventry v Stoke, 15:00
    Crystal Palace v QPR, 15:00
    Hull v Southampton, 15:00
    Ipswich v Burnley, 15:00
    Leeds v Barnsley, 12:00
    Leicester v Sheff Wed, 15:00
    Luton v Preston, 15:00
    Southend v Wolverhampton, 15:00
    Sunderland v Norwich, 15:00
    West Brom v Derby, 15:00

Couple of interesting games tomorrow. West Brom and Derby is hard to call especially as Derby looked a completely different team that came to the Britannia back in August. Leeds should be able to get all three points in the Yorkshire Derby.Elsewhere Southampton should enjoy a comfortable win against Hull. Not going to comment on the game at the Ricoh Arena as i will be there , and dunno want to jinx anything :)

Birmingham v Plymouth, 15:00
    Home
    Cardiff v Colchester, 15:00
    Home
    Coventry v Stoke, 15:00
    Away
    Crystal Palace v QPR, 15:00
    Draw
    Hull v Southampton, 15:00
    Away
    Ipswich v Burnley, 15:00
    Draw
    Leeds v Barnsley, 12:00
    Home
    Leicester v Sheff Wed, 15:00
    Luton v Preston, 15:00----Away
    Southend v Wolverhampton, 15:00
    Draw
    Sunderland v Norwich, 15:00
    Draw
    West Brom v Derby, 15:00
    Away

Final score

Leeds 2-2 Barnsley

I suppose i have to be reasonable happy with the result since Barnsley were ahead twice but Matt Heath had a perfectly good goal disallowed in the second half for nothing. New boy Kandol looked very good and got himself on the scoresheet, as did Ehiogu. Just some bad defending cost us in the end.

It was a huge chance to get out of the relegation zone but one that wasnt taken. At this point I am genuinely getting worried now. Hopefully the results will work in our way later today.

From the commentary on LUTV it sounds like we were robbed of a perfectly good goal. Unfortunately that's the sort of thing that happens to teams when they're in this position.

• Advertisement

Zaph just to let you know, all leeds home games are streamed on the internet and some away games as well. Just for future reference if you want to watch them. I was watching the game and it looked like a perfectly good goal.

I didn't realise that, what site are they on?

1-0 Rasiak, started slowly but we're coming back into it and dominating now. Bale is doing well.

Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale Bale !

Best free-kick taker in football.

Poor joe is probaly off crying somewhere. it 2-2 now, hull with 2 goals just before half time.

Luton betting preston 2-0, big big shock.

zaph wrote:
    I didn't realise that, what site are they on?

Check in the Leeds thread. I posted it in there.

Poor joe is probaly off crying somewhere. it 2-2 now, hull with 2 goals just before half time.

Luckily I had to go to work, and only heard it was 2-0 and then 4-2. :D

These feckin eejits have cut enough time off my life already!

Rasiak is on top form, everyone is performing well with the exception of the defence (except Bale...:D) and Davis. Things are looking very good indeed.

Certainly are looking good. Wednesday are creeping up the table aswell since they got their new manager. i still think WBA will struggle to make into the premiership.

Sunderland are going in the right direction now aswell. Thankfully no one is doing a reading on it, makes it alot more entertaining!

Nice little Excel file (if you can ignore the Southampton crap...) of the Championship table.

Cannot argue with yesterdays result, if both teams were still playing now it would still be 0-0. Very disappointed with the Ricoh Arena , a new aged stadium i guess , no ambience , no character - nothing , worst football stadium i have ever been to

Next Away Layer Road - Colchester

Congrats to Steve Simonsen for equalling Gordon Banks club record of six clean sheets in a row

• Advertisement
Advertisement