Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows booting problem (registry file failure etc)

• 11-11-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

So I'm having a few problems with the Windows XP installation on my Dell Inspiron 8600. The laptop is about 3 years old but I manage to look after it fairly well so it's doing OK, up until now. I did a clean reformat and OS reinstall during the summer and had no problems since.

Anyway, recently the computer has been running very slow. I'd be running Azereus, Dreamweaver and a few open tabs in Firefox and it'd be slowing down, which shouldn't be the case. This was pretty acceptable though. For the week or so that this was happening the startup and reboot process was taking about 3 minutes, which aint normal either...

Now however, I can't start up at all, even in safe mode. When I am in the boot menu and go for "Most recent settings that work", it hangs for about 2-3 minutes and eventually tells me via the ever friendly blue screen:

STOP: C0000218 (registry file failure)
    registry cannot load the hive (file)
    \systemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate

I have read a few different things online and am thinking I'll have to follow the registry recovery instructions here, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;307545& , and see how I get on?

I am prepared to just reformat and reinstall windows, I just haven't done a backup in about a week and so have some documents and photos that I'd really like to get off first, so have to get those files onto my external drive. My friend has an 8600. I presume the problem would persist if I were to put my HD into her laptop?

Anyway, thats all, if anyone knows anything or has any experience of this c0000218 error, then I'd love to hear about it, as I'm pretty disillusioned with it all right now...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

incidentally, I get the exact same process when I try and boot up through safe mode, only instead of all the hanging on the XP logo screen I get the drivers all loading up and it just hangs on the last one the agp440.sys file (my graphics card, which I presume is just last in the queue to load), and then sends me to the blue screen.

I can load up the safe mode with cmd and have done that and ran a chkdsk and chkdsk /r so far. I dont know how to do any other operations in cmd though.

Advertisement