Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockatiel problem.

Options
  • 11-11-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

We have had a cockatiel for a few years now, She's hand trained, playfull, eats with us, sits on our shoulder and watches telly, demands to be stroked when she wants etc,she only spends time in the cage when she eats or sleeps, the rest of the time she has free reign, generally a healthy bird. Lately however I have noticed a bald spot on her head, it's around the spot where she likes to be stroked, but we don't stroke her to the point of her feathers falling out. Unfortunatly due to work she spends the best part of the day on her own up untill about 4pm. I'm worried that maybe this is having an effect on her. She is a very people type of bird, when we are home she goes from one to the other, will follow us into the kitchen or even up stairs, calls out if she cant see us and sometimes becomes annoyed if we don't pay her enough attention.I read somewhere that cockatiels can become depressed if they don't have enough stimulation leading to them pulling out feathers etc. I don't think she has pulled her's out because there in an awkard position that she couldn't reach but could those few hours of alone time be having an effect on her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think the top of the head is the only place a bird can't reach with the beak, but I once had an african grey that scratched his head with a claw, but if it's somewere the bird can't reach it could be a chemical imbalance of some sort, usually when birds start to pluck there are several factors. It's rarely a single issue, unless it's a chemical thing so why not go to a vet with a fresh stool sample to rule out anthing of that nature. It also might not do any harm to get a companion, a budgie or something for while you're not around, and put the cages side by side. Routine change can also bring on stuff of that nature so it might be worth looking at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check to make sure it's not something like mites.
    She could be rubbing her head off something or scratching it.
    I wouldn't get a budgie because living side by side they might be able to see each other but it's not going to be the same as being able to interact with each other.
    Sometimes budgies and tiels will get on well but I would stick to same species.
    Hens can be grumpy though so introducing another hen may or may not work, introducing a male would work, although it might make her broody and she would still miss the people in her life.
    You can get fake eggs if that happens which sometimes works.

Mabey having the radio on would help.

Or for more helpful info google tailfeathers the forum is great for cockatiel info.

Other than that it's lovely to hear a tiel being such a big part of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

What colour is she? If she's a Lutino, lutino cockatiels often have a bald spot on their head (mine does), it is a genetic fault that comes with the Lutino colouring. A Lutino cockatiel has a white to yellow body with a yellow face and red cheeks and ruby eyes.

Here's a photo of my guy to give you a better idea

obievz4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thats her double alright. Didn't realise they were called latino,thanks for that.
    We actually had three in all at one time, all females. Two were not trained, made giggy advances towards each other and had a rake of eggs. They were the type that wouldn't go near the cage if you let them out,we eventually gave them to a breader. I wouldn't get Her a companion after having the other two,if anything it made her unfriendly. Thanks for the replies, it's a relief to know that it may be generic and it actually doesn't look so bad today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Glad to help. :)
    My guy's changes a bit sometimes but he always has it. If you look up "lutino cockatiel bald" on Google you can get more information. Even with the bald spot I still think they are the most beautiful cockatiels :)

Mine has a companion, he lives with my budgie who completely babies him even though the budgie is only half his size!

• Advertisement
Advertisement