Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat poo everywhere - Public health hazard?

Options
  • 11-11-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We started having problems with the neighbours two cats as soon as we moved in to our house about 2.5 years ago. Now, after two sets of litters there are six cats and the amount of cat poo all over my garden is really starting to worry me. I couldn't count the number of times I have has to hose it off my and my son's shoes in the past two and a half years.

I've cleaned up 3 piles of poo from outside the back door this week alone, it's been brought in to the house twice during the same week and has ended up on the hands of my 10 month old son!!!
    Considering the risk of toxoplasmosis to my kids, should this not now be considered a public health risk?

The people who own the cats are obviously irresponsible having never had any of them neutered so I don't care what they think if the council can have the cats put down.

(before anyoine asks, I've tried sonic repellents, odour repellents, the hose, fencing etc etc etc) I'm absolutely SICK of it and don't know why I should have to put up with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

it's not the cats fault that they have been allowed to multiply and to be honest I don't think your Council will do anything for you anyway, they will leave it up to you Council's aren't really all that concerned about cats. The only action they would suggest is pest control which would be at a cost to you. Have you tried speaking to your neighbours and see what they say, you never know sometimes people are just ignorant of the facts or the damage. Maybe print off some stuff about neutering etc to give to them. Not sure if it works but have you tried the half filled plastic bottles with water

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Cat proofing isn't just to keep cats in, it's possible (if you have an enclosed garden) to cat proof your walls so they can't jump in. Rather inexpensive too.

Council won't do anything. Your neighbours sound like they might have problems themselves if they think a rapidly multiplying pet population is ok for their own health. Definnitely worth mentionning to them that neutering is a good idea.

Other options to try is providing a "sandbox" area where they will prefer to "go", thereby making it more predictable.

Other than that, I don't know.

As a cat owner (mine stay in) I feel the same way, I hate strange cats coming in my garden and will be cat proofing next summer after we finish landscaping... both to keep mine in and others out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I kind of know how you feel. We own 1 cat a stray that has been neutered.
    but feed loads of animals who poo in our garden and the two ajoining neighbours.

We made the mistake of starting to feed a female stray who produced 5 kittens,
    and then another 5 (2 of which died and are buried out the back)

So now we are feeding
    1 Fat House Cat
    1 Mammy Possibly Pregnant a 3rd time (cant pick her up as wild)
    2 Adult Toms's both Totally Feral an untouchable. (1 is albino with human like blue eyes)
    5 Under a year non-neutered young cats 2 female 1 possible pregnant.
    3 non neutered 10-15 week old Kittens.

Not to mention a wild Fox every so often, a stay visla dog now and again,
    2 hedgehogs and a neighbours dog who steals any food thats left out.
    I am worried that the Neighbours are going to complain as I feed all the cats
    as I am a sucker.

Our garden is pebbles rather than grass so its one big litter tray.
    Its covered in POO.

My Girlfriend is trying to get two of the tamer ones neutred tommorow.
    but we cant catch touch/catch the feral ones and with that many cats
    a cat trap will only catch the dumb ejiits that are around all the time or
    my own house cat when he goes out.

Now I barely have a spare cent to rub together with all my house bills
    and I dont own a car so lack transportation so cant afford to get ALL these
    Cats neutered. (65 Euro a pop for females after I enquired)
    Tried going to the local LSPCA but its always closed and no answer from
    the phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

spread orange peel, chilli pepper, white pepper around the high risk areas on which the cats poo. plus you can get those sonic alarms which irritates the cats and stop them coming into the garden.

not really a full solution but it may reduce it

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Bullets where are you based, if you are in Dublin I might be able to help you get the cats neutered cheaper, you can PM me and let me know

• Advertisement
Advertisement