Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing french polish...

Options
  • 11-11-2006 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Okay bit of a quandary here...a mate has taken on a restoration job that involves some newel posts and a handrail that are teak (or possibly walnut) and finished out with french polishing.
    He wants to renew the finish which is fairly aged and has lost a lot of it's lustre and phoned me to ask some advice. Now I've seen furniture being french polished from scratch and read some stuff about it but I don't know how to go about sprucing up an old piece.

Anyone ever done this or know any tips? Is it just a matter of a rub down and re-applying a few coats of shellac? Or does it have to be stripped back and done from the bottom up?
    Any advice mucho appreciado...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

French polsih is without doubt the most lustrous finish there is...but is extremely poor in conditions of traffic. Its very prone to damage from water marking, easily chipped , and is not an easy finish to repair.

It is definitely not the best choice for a stair newel post or hand rail. There are numerous finishes available that are easier to apply , and far superior in all the qualities.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh I know, but this is a period house and the new owner wants to keep the original features. The surfaces aren't damaged at all, they've just been sitting in a derelict state for a long time and probably haven't been treated in half a century or more; it'd be a shame to come along and put lacquer or bog standard varnish over them (with a possiblity of a bad reaction to the substrate)....and obviously calling in a fench polisher is going to be costly.

He's done finishes like beeswax and danish oil on surfaces liek this so technique isn't really a problem....it's method and preparation in a case like this that my mate needs advice on...

Advertisement